From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC General Secretary on Senator Wellstones Death

From "Nat'l Council of Churches" <nccc_usa@ncccusa.org>
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:04:46 -0400

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Media Contact: 212-870-2252/2227
To Reach Dr. Edgar: 917-821-0852
NCC10/25/02 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
COMMENT OF THE REVEREND ROBERT EDGAR
GENERAL SECRETARY, NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES
ON THE DEATH OF SENATOR PAUL WELLSTONE
On this sad day we join with many others in mourning the loss of Senator
Paul Wellstone of Minnesota following his tragic death in the crash of a
small plane.Americans of every political affiliation will acknowledge the
loss of a devoted public servant who embodied the highest standards of his
profession.
Senator Wellstone was fearless and faithful in his pursuit of justice for
all persons. We at the National Council of Churches have more than once been
grateful for his leadership on behalf of programs to assist the least, the
last and the lost. His great heart and sharp mind placed him in the
forefront of the cause of children, health care, environmental concerns, and
the poor and marginalized. Even in what turned out to be the last days of
his life, Senator Wellstone, despite a close political race for re-election,
preserved his integrity in voting against the "Use of Force" resolution to
enable U.S. action against Iraq.  At the time we cited his courage and
selflessness in placing conscience above self-interest.
We will miss his bright spirit as well as his leadership. We extend our most
profound condolences to his two sons who have lost their mother and sister
as well as their father. We pray that the peace that passes all
understanding will surround and sustain them. May God have mercy upon all
who mourn those who have been lost to us.
Not for the first time we have witnessed the sudden untimely and tragic
death of those in public life in the closing days of re-election campaigns.
We think of Mickey Leland, Hale Boggs and John Heinz, all of whom are among
the more than a dozen public officials who have perished in such aviation
accidents. My own family was deeply affected by my son's near fatal crash in
a small plane. We hope and trust that appropriate officials will review once
more the adequacy of safety standards and regulations for such aircraft.
-end-
The Rev. Dr. Edgar, a United Methodist minister, has served as NCC General
Secretary since January 1, 2000.  The NCCs 36 Protestant, Orthodox and
Anglican member churches comprise 50 million adherents.  Dr. Edgar served
six terms (1975-1987) in the U.S. Congress, representing Pennsylvanias
Seventh District.