From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Wayne Powell Named President of ELCA's Lenoir-Rhyne College

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:58:13 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 28, 2002

WAYNE POWELL NAMED PRESIDENT OF ELCA'S LENOIR-RHYNE COLLEGE
02-252-MR/MA**

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Dr. Wayne B. Powell, 51, will become the 11th
president of Lenoir-Rhyne College, Hickory, N.C., on Dec. 1.  Lenoir-
Rhyne is one of 28 colleges and universities of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA).
     "It is a distinctive honor and privilege to be selected as
president of Lenoir-Rhyne," said Powell.  "This is an outstanding
institution focusing on excellence in teaching, with a faculty and staff
that are unsurpassed in their dedication to serving students.  Our
potential to rise to even greater levels is a function of our close ties
to the Hickory community and our alumni," he said.
     Powell has served as vice president and dean for academic affairs
at Lenoir-Rhyne College since 2000.  From 1992 to 2000, he served as
dean and associate dean for the Graduate College at Oklahoma State
University, Stillwater, Okla.  Powell was professor, associate and
assistant professor of mathematics at Oklahoma State from 1980 to 2000.