From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Alexandria Declaration meeting offers plan for promoting peace in the Middle East

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:00:43 -0500

October 31, 2002

2002-251

Episcopalians: Alexandria Declaration meeting offers plan for
promoting peace in the Middle East

by James Solheim

(ENS) A high-level consultation of Christian, Muslim and Jewish
religious leaders hosted by Archbishop of Canterbury George
Carey at Lambeth Palace in London has issued a 10-point plan to
deal with the continuing conflict in the Middle East.

The two-day consultation was a follow-up to a historic
meeting last January that produced the Alexandria Declaration, a
breakthrough agreement signed by the religious leaders. The new
plan, announced October 25, takes a sober look at the daunting
task of peace and reconciliation in one of the most troubling
confrontations in the world.

Among the provisions of the plan is a commitment to "maintain
the relationship and channels of communication" developed since
the Alexandria Declaration, to "establish an inter-religious
council for Jerusalem and the Holy sites," and to "sustain the
existing close working relationships with the political
leadership of both the Government of Israel and the Palestinian
National Authority."

On the issue of violence, the plan seeks "to engage with
those religious leaders who are seen to be instruments in the
perpetuation of violence" and establish a program of education
that "will foster and encourage an environment of tolerance and
eventual reconciliation."

Frank exchanges

"We have built much on that first meeting," said Carey in a
statement. "We have had frank exchanges and there is no
shrinking from the difficult issues that confront us all in this
conflict. It is painful sometimes to have to confront the
hostility and the anger caused by a situation in which there is
right on many sides and in which the opposite of a profound
truth can be another profound truth."

The Alexandria Declaration celebrates the respect for the
three major religions of the area, according to Carey,
"underscoring its rejection of violence, incitement to hatred
and misrepresentation, cherishing its call for a just, secure
and durable solution for the Holy Land, support for a
religiously sanctioned cease-fire and promoting its ambition to
create an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect."

Carey said that participants recognized "the significant
obstacles presented by the continuing occupation and the
on-going violence. We acknowledge the fear of communities that
there will never be open acceptance by the other of their right
to be present in the Holy Land and believe that all have a duty
to combat the mistrust that this generates."

It is very important, Carey added, to recognize "the
fundamental importance of ensuring that what we say of one
another is free from invective and rhetoric and is not cast in
stereotypes or generalizations. We need also to ensure that what
is passed on to the next generation is not wrapped in fear and
mistrust."

The three principal organizers of the Alexandria
meeting--Latin Patriarch Michel Sabbah, Sheikh Tlala Seder and
Rabbi Michael Melchior--were given a Peace Prize before the
consultation began in recognition of their contributions.

------

The text of the plan is available on the Anglican Communion web
site at www.anglicancommunion.org/acns.

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.