From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Author and missionary Richard Shaull dies at 82

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 31 Oct 2002 14:56:50 -0500

Note #7495 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Author and missionary Richard Shaull dies at 82
02427
October 29, 2002

Author and missionary Richard Shaull dies at 82

by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE - The Rev. M. Richard (Dick) Shaull, 82, an educator, author and
missionary who served the Presbyterian Church for more than half a century,
died of cancer on Oct. 25 at his home in Ardmore, PA.

Shaull, the Henry Winters Luce Professor of Ecumenics Emeritus at Princeton
Theological Seminary, wrote scores of articles and reviews and a number of
books, including Encounter with Revolution and Containment and Change, the
latter co-authored with the late Carl Oglesby.

He is survived by his wife, Dr. Nancy Johns; daughters Madelyn and Wendy
Shaull, both of California; sisters Jane Keesey and June Stroup; a brother,
George; step-daughters Anita and Sylvia Smart; and an ex-wife, Mildred Miller
Shaull of California.

A memorial service will be held on Nov. 2 at 11 a.m. at Bryn Mawr
Presbyterian Church in Bryn Mawr, PA. In lieu of flowers, contributions may
be made to the Richard Shaull Memorial Mission Fund of the Bryn Mawr
Presbyterian Church Foundation.

"Dick Shaull was a gentle, humble, courageous, tough-minded servant of Jesus
Christ," said the Rev. Eugene Bay, pastor of Bryn Mawr church, where Shaull
was a parish associate. "His commitments to social justice and inclusivity
were lifelong and tenacious. He held himself and the church he loved to the
highest standards of accountability."

Bay cited an excerpt from an article Shaull wrote after the terror attacks in
New York and Washington, DC, on Sept. 11, 2001, as an example of "the thought
and spirit that Dick exhibited right up to the very end."

"'We can no longer expect to live in peace and enjoy our wealth if we
perpetuate an economic order which is driving more and more people  into
such despair that they see no other way than to strike out through terrorist
attacks. What we can do (is) ... change our priorities and ... collaborate
with our world neighbors in an effort to overcome the causes of terrorism.
And as we do this, the God who suffers with us will also be the source of
tremendous vitality."

Shaull was born on a farm in York County, Pennsylvania, in 1919. He was the
oldest of four children, and grew up in the Great Depression.

He graduated from Elizabethtown College in 1938 and earned an M.Div. degree
from Princeton Seminary in 1941. After a year as a parish minister in Texas,
he became a Presbyterian missionary in Colombia. He returned to the United
States for graduate work before joining the faculty of the Presbyterian
Seminary in Campinas, Brazil.

He returned to Princeton in 1957 and earned a doctorate in 1958, then went
back to Brazil, where he continued to train young people for ministry until
1962. After a military coup there in 1964, he returned to Princeton and
worked as a teacher until taking early retirement in 1980. After that, he
served as a Volunteer in Mission in several Latin American countries.

"Shaull's theology was shaped by his experience as a Presbyterian missionary
... in poverty-filled, repressive Brazil," Presbyterian journalist Leon
Howell wrote. "He always brought a passion for justice and a deep Biblical
faith to his widely appreciated reflections on politics and culture."

Shaull's latest book, Pentecostalism and the Future of the Christian
Churches, was co-written with Waldo Cesar, a Brazilian sociologist. It
explores a radically new form of Christian faith and its response to poverty
and injustice.

Information was supplied by Andrew Conrad.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org