From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Virginia's Al Horton, other communicators honored

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:12:55 -0600

Nov. 4, 2002  News media contact: Kathy Gilbert7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.	10-71BP{503}

NOTE: Photographs are available with this story. This report may be used as
a sidebar to UMNS story #502.

NEW ORLEANS (UMNS) - The Rev. Al Horton has been named the 2002 Communicator
of the Year by the United Methodist Association of Communicators.

The year award is given to a person who exemplifies religious communication
in the United Methodist Church. The association honored Horton during its
Oct. 31-Nov. 2 annual meeting.

Horton is past president of the communicators association, edited the
Virginia Annual Conference's Virginia Advocate publication and was
instrumental in developing legislation to strengthen the ministry of
communication for the 2000 General Conference. He now serves as pastor of
Mount Pisgah United Methodist Church in Midlothian, Va.

"I have been a communicator for 15 years, and I have treated my work as
though it were my calling," he said. "I am a pastor as much as I am a
communicator. There is a story inside of me that seems to vibrate when I
hear stories of others. I am a very blessed person."

Robert Lear, Bettie Wilson Story and the late Vilmar M. Ziles were named to
the United Methodist Association of Communicators' Hall of Fame, in
recognition of their lifetime achievements in religious communications.

Lear is the retired director of the Washington bureau of United Methodist
News Service. "If journalists can have the equivalent of a senior statesman,
Robert Lear would be one of ours," said Joretta Purdue, current Washington
bureau news director, in presenting the award. Lear spent 36 years working
for the church before retiring in 1992.

"It is a great joy to have done all the things I have been accused of here
tonight," Lear said as he accepted his award.

Story is the former co-director of communications for the Illinois Area and
co-editor of The Current, the conference newspaper. She retired after 24
years of service to the Illinois Great Rivers Conference.

"I am blessed to have lived such a vigorous life with you, hoisted on the
shoulders of communicators and leaders who have gone before us," she said.

Beatrice Ziles accepted the award on behalf of her late husband, Vilmar.
Ziles was a Latvian immigrant who was hired as a sound engineer for TRAFCO,
the predecessor of United Methodist Communications, in 1961. He retired in
1986 and worked part-time for United Methodist Communications through 1997.

During its Nov. 1 awards banquet, the 280-member association also honored
the work of other United Methodist communicators who serve in local
congregations, regional units, international agencies and some secular
publications.

Earning awards of excellence were:
7	Best newspaper, The Call, a regional newspaper edited by Annette
Bender and published by the Holston Annual Conference, which includes parts
of Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia.
7	Best newsletter, Monday Morning in North Georgia, edited by Ed
Tomlinson and Mark Nugent, published by the Atlanta-based North Georgia
Annual Conference
7	Best magazine, Zion's Herald, a journal of thought and discussion
edited by Stephen L. Swecker, published by the Boston Wesleyan Association.
7	Best promotional material, the Florida Conference logo, created by
communicator Tita Parham.
7	Best special publication, Supporting Leadership for Life: Black
College Fund 2002 Calendar, edited by Celinda J. Hughes, published by United
Methodist Communications, Nashville, Tenn.
7	Best video ($10,000 plus) Syrup Cup Chalice by United Methodist
Communications.
7	Best video (under $10,000), Out of the Box, produced by Donald E.
Collier, New York Annual Conference.
7	Best television or cable production, Amen, one of the TV messages
created for the United Methodist Church's nationwide Igniting Ministry ad
campaign, producer Steve Horswill-Johnston, United Methodist Communications.
7	Best radio production, Faith on the Field, produced by Ed Tomlinson
and Timothy McDaniel, North Georgia Annual Conference.
7	Best Internet site, North Georgia Annual Conference www.ngumc.org,
produced by Mark Nugent.
7	Best writing, "Ciudad Juarez: Death Not Development," by Paul
Jeffrey, published in New World Outlook magazine by the United Methodist
Board of Global Ministries.
7	Best photography, "Tzotzil Girl of Acteal," by Paul Jeffrey for New
World Outlook.
7	Best artwork, With Our Voices, Nancye Willis and Mike DuBose, United
Methodist Communications.
7	Best publication in a language other than English, Korean Web pages,
produced by Mark Nugent, North Georgia Annual Conference.
7	Best publicity and advertising, A World of Thanks, designed by Sara
Perez, United Methodist Communications.
7	Best special sections or supplements, "Tragedy in the Holy Land: A
Gathering of Witnesses," published in Zion's Herald, edited by Stephen L.
Swecker.
7	Best work from a church-related institution, Society of St. Andrew
2001 calendar, edited by Carol A. Breitinger.
# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org