From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Methodist youth, deaconesses oppose military action in Iraq

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:59:54 -0600

Nov. 5, 2002   News media contact: Linda Bloom7(212) 870-38037New York
10-21-71B{506}

By United Methodist News Service

Two different Methodist-related groups, representing youth and deaconesses,
have expressed opposition to a possible U.S. war against Iraq.

In a Nov. 4 statement, the World Methodist Council Youth Committee affirmed
an earlier statement by the council that called for a peaceful resolution to
the Iraqi crisis, but noted the importance of adding a youthful perspective
to the debate.

"As a voice for Methodist youth and young adults around the world, the WMCYC
is troubled by the inevitable human costs of war in Iraq, a war that could
destabilize the entire Middle East," the statement said. "We are not
convinced that the gain for humanity, through military action in Iraq, will
be greater than its loss."

Referring to the effects of 12 years of economic sanctions against Iraq, the
youth called the real crisis one of "humanity" rather than terrorism.

"Waging a new war against Iraq and dropping bombs and missiles on their
villages and cities will only take more lives and cause further damage to
Iraq and its people," the statement continued. "Only a negotiated solution,
which involves both the Iraqi government and the United Nations, would
ensure a peaceful alternative to the current situation. At the same time,
there is an urgent need to re-empower the Iraqi people and restore their
dignity. As Christians, we find this in line with the teachings of the
gospel that seeks healing for the nations and dignity for human beings."

The youth committee asked youth and young adults around the world to pray
and educate themselves about the situation and listed a Web site,
www.worldmethodistyouth.org, where they could find ideas and resources "to
put prayer, education and advocacy into action."

In their resolution to President George W. Bush, the National Association of
Deaconesses and Missionaries of the United Methodist Church also opposed any
military action against Iraq, noting that it would result "in the
destruction of property and lives of women, children and families, either by
direct strikes or by the destruction of systems necessary for healthy life."

More than 150 participations signed the resolution during the association's
Oct. 24-27 meeting in Lake Junaluska, N.C.

The association also sent a letter to Bishop Sharon Brown Christopher,
president of the denomination's Council of Bishops. "Your Oct. 9 letter
urging United Methodists to prayer and action against pre-emptive war on
Iraq by the United States models Esther's courageous spirit and we commend
you," the letter said. "Thank you for calling us back to our roots,
reminding us that we are 'a church seeking peace, justice and
reconciliation.'"

Other United Methodist agencies also have expressed opposition to military
action against Iraq, including the denomination's Board of Church and
Society and Board of Global Ministries.

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: