From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Carey dedicates Hispanic mission in Diocese of Chicago

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:10:45 -0500

November 6, 2002

2002-256

Episcopalians: Carey dedicates Hispanic mission in Diocese of
Chicago

by David Skidmore

(ENS) The public ministry of the 103rd Archbishop of Canterbury
ended in a Northern Illinois blue-collar town on the shore of
Lake Michigan October 19 with Dr. George L. Carey doing what he
loves best--celebrating the emergence of a vigorous faith
community.

Joined by Bishop William Persell and Assistant Bishop Victor
Scantlebury of the Diocese of Chicago, Carey helped consecrate
the church building and furnishings of the diocese's newest
mission: Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe (Our Lady of Guadalupe) in
Waukegan, and welcome its members to the worldwide Anglican
Communion.

Despite a raw wind and temperatures in the high 40s, over 300
people attended the outdoor liturgy, many of them from Nuestra
Senora's partner parish, Church of the Holy Spirit in Lake
Forest, and Christ Church, Waukegan where the Latino
congregation worshipped for its first 10 years. Also on hand
were diocesan staff and clergy from the local deanery.
Waukegan's Mayor Richard Hyde, who arranged the staging, seating
and sound system for the service, attended along with local
Christian clergy and a dozen SWAT team members who maintained a
tight security cordon around the event.

Carey offered some comfort to the wind-whipped crowd by
thanking church members and visitors "for laying on some very
good English weather here this afternoon. I am sure that this
church is going to warm many hearts in the days ahead."

For members of Nuestra Senora, Carey's prediction comes true
each Sunday when over 200 people fill the pews for the
Spanish-language service. The turnout, a testimony to the
pastoral gifts of Nuestra Senora's vicar, the Rev. Narciso Diaz,
is a reminder of the need and opportunity for the church's
outreach to Latinos, the fastest growing community in the
Chicago metropolitan area. In Waukegan, the Hispanic community
has more than doubled in the past 10 years--now standing at 40
percent of the 90,000 residents--and similar growth is occurring
in other suburbs and Chicago neighborhoods.

This mission opportunity figured prominently in Scantlebury's
sermon. The Anglican Communion, he noted, has always regarded
itself as a missionary church. "We have always followed Christ's
command to be a mission of love to the world," he said. "More
than being on a mission, more than merely carrying out a
mission, we are the mission."

Paying forward a favor

That principle has been taken to heart by members of Church
of the Holy Spirit in neighboring upscale Lake Forest. For their
centennial year celebration, parishioners realized they had a
golden opportunity to pay forward the favor from a century ago
when Trinity Episcopal Church in Highland Park started a mission
church in Lake Forest that eventually grew to become the
diocese's largest parish. Holy Spirit's rector, the Rev. George
Councell, suggested a special fund to help purchase a former
Lutheran church and daycare center in Waukegan that would become
Nuestra Senora's permanent home.

With assistance from bishop and trustees--the real estate
management agency of the diocese--Church of the Holy Spirit
negotiated a lease-purchase of the five acre site on North
Butrick Street, and in late May members of Nuestra Senora
celebrated their first service in the cinder block building. The
once stark space was transformed into an Anglican church using
pews, altar vessels and linens, and the baptismal font from the
former Christ Church, Harvard.

Facing a narrow window of opportunity--Carey would be in Lake
Forest in just five months--Holy Spirit launched a spirited fund
drive that by the end of the summer had netted over $700,000 for
the purchase of the Waukegan property. Just a week before
Carey's arrival, Holy Spirit completed the purchase.

The team effort was noted by Carey in comments to reporters
after the service. "It's a wonderful story, isn't it?" he said.
"A wonderful story of cooperation and partnership in the
church."

Stay rooted in the historic faith

During his three-day visit to the diocese--his final visit as
archbishop of Canterbury to an Anglican Communion
province--Carey joined members of Church of the Holy Spirit in
celebrating its centennial, preaching at both the Sunday morning
Eucharist and a Choral Evensong.

In his sermon at Evensong, Carey urged the congregation to
stay "rooted in the historic faith of the church." While this
would seem self-evident to most Christians, he said, it has
surprised him how often he has to stress this point in his
travels. No longer is it liturgy or churchmanship that sparks
divisions, but how we understand foundational beliefs like the
Trinity, he said.

"For instance do we or do we not truly believe that God
Revealed himself as Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Whether or not
the Christian revelation is for everybody? Whether or not the
Scriptures are the final revelation of God? Whether or not the
same scriptures declare God's moral demands about how we should
live and conduct ourselves?" said Carey.

What he has found in his ecumenical contacts lately has been
the "wonderful discovery" of common understanding of
foundational beliefs among Catholics, Evangelicals, Charismatics
and Anglicans. But this is not to say that "Godly liberalism"
should be ignored, he said. "Indeed, the Episcopal, the
Anglican, tradition has always given a welcome to a Godly
liberal middle church tradition that accepts the faith of the
church," said Carey.

Where he has difficulty is with "radical liberalism that
denies the truth the church has born witness to down the
centuries." That approach, said Carey, is at odds with the broad
church, and undermines the authority of Scripture, the source of
our faith's foundational truths. "And we depart from them at our
peril," he warned.

Carey also urged the congregation to be wary of succumbing to
the prevailing culture. While the church must be rooted in the
culture and common life, we must "never be controlled or shaped
by it," he said. Instead, he noted, the Gospel "seeks to shape
culture according to the norms and values of our faith." There
may be times ahead, he added, "when the church will be an
alternative culture, and an alternative community."

Drawing a comparison with Augustine, England's first
archbishop of Canterbury, Carey said when he is asked how he
wished to be remembered, his answer increasingly is as a
missionary archbishop. "I found that story of Augustine very
inspiring indeed," he said "because it says to each one of us
that however weak, fallible and ordinary we may feel, we are
special in God's sight."

------

--David Skidmore is director of communications for the Diocese
of Chicago.