From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Diocese bids farewell to Harris

From Daphne Mack <dmack@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:31:17 -0500

2002-257

Diocese of Massachusetts
bids farewell to Barbara Harris

by James Solheim

(ENS) With just the right blend of
sass and sentimentality, the Diocese
of Massachusetts bid farewell to its
outspoken suffragan bishop, Barbara
Clementine Harris--the first woman
to be elected a bishop in the worldwide
Anglican Communion.

Over several days, culminating in the
diocesan convention November 1, a string
of dignitaries and friends tried--and
partially succeeded--in capturing the
essence of the civil rights activist whose
election smashed barriers and was greeted
by many Christian women who felt they now
had an icon of their own.

The historic election on September 24, 1988,
also set in motion a darker set of responses,
as some opponents began what many regarded as
a vicious campaign to prevent her consecration.
Yet the diocese, which had elected the church's
first African-American bishop when it chose John
Burgess as suffragan in 1962 and later diocesan
bishop, was ready to push the church onto new
ground--"holy ground," in a decision that would
"change the face of the church forever," in the
words of Mark Hollingsworth at a dinner the night
before the convention opened.

At the dinner, former presiding bishop Edmond
Browning raised his hands, as he had on a similar
occasion at the same Harvard Club before the historic
consecration on February 11, 1989, and said that
Harris "was ready and you as a diocese were ready--and
these hands were ready." He said that Harris and the
diocese had shown "huge trust in God and the church
of God."

The Rev. Nan Peete of Southern Ohio, who with Harris
attended the 1988 Lambeth Conference of Anglican
bishops, said that they had faced charges that
"women were conspiring to change the church." She
said that Harris "stands at the margin, viewing the
world from all sides," even when that has involved
personal cost. "Transformation has been a hallmark
of your ministry," added the Rev. Gayle Harris, who
will be consecrated suffragan bishop of the diocese
January 18, 2003.

In response, Bishop Harris said that "it has been
a wonderful journey--even through the bad times.
I'm glad that I can stand in the breach so others
can pass over."

The power of the Spirit

Harris picked up on that theme in her final address to
the diocesan convention November 1. She quoted sage
advice from a friend, Bishop Audrey Bronson of the
Pentecostal church, who told her to remember that "the
power behind you is greater than the task ahead of you.

"And her words have proven true over these past 13 years.
They have been true because the power of God's Holy Spirit,
working through you and others in the church, has guided
and sustained my ministry among you," she said.

Harris said that the Spirit also sustained her "through
a time when there was a calculated move to neutralize
me and to mute my voice here in the diocese." In those
"dark and painful moments of hate mail, death threats
and the ire of various detractors, followed by days of
living in a fish bowl with every word and move scrutinized,
I had the wise counsel of the quintesssential confidant,
ally and supporter--Canon Ed Rodman, who, among other
things, advised me not to take it personally and to
remember that 'it gets worse when the Red Sox are
losing.'"

In listing some of the high points of her tenure,
she cited "the partnership and personal friendship"
forged with Bishop Tom Shaw, "a blessing I scarcely
deserve but one for which I shall be eternally grateful."
She added that it has been "gratifying to see the climate
of the Diocese of Massachusetts change dramatically from
one of mistrust and individualism to a more common
fellowship where our congregations, clergy, diocesan
staff and organizations...have moved into closer
relationship and ownership of a shared ministry."

Shaw called attention to a quilt in front of the stage
at the Hancock Center, made by the women of 90 parishes.
On the back they wrote, "You are woven into our lives."
He also announced later that the diocese has raised
$15.6 million towards a goal of $18.4 to build and endow
the Barbara C. Harris Camp and Conference Center on a
New Hampshire lake. A stunning oil portrait, commissioned
by the Union of Black Episcopalians, will hang over the
fireplace in the main lodge at the camp, scheduled to
open next June.

Just some of the stories

Yet it was the Friday evening celebration that wrapped
together the history, the emotion, and the irreverent
humor in a way designed to "convey some of her story in
words, images, songs," according to the master of
ceremonies, Dean Jep Streit of St. Paul's Cathedral.
He introduced a string of participants--"all of these
people, all this talent, to try and capture the essence
of this woman, this big voice and huge heart packed into
this small, spare, exquisite frame."

Admitting that the task was almost impossible, Streit said
that Harris "will always be more. She is funnier, and braver,
and smarter and tougher than we can describe. She is more
loyal, more loving, more gracious and more stubborn than we
can say. She is also more compassionate and more sensitive
than we can imagine."

In his comments, the Hon. Byron Rushing, a Massachusetts
state legislator, quickly traced Harris' 31-year career
in corporate public relations, to her participation in
the 1974 "illegal" ordination of 11 women in Philadelphia,
to her own study for the priesthood and ordination in
1980--and her ministry with "the least, the lost and the
left out."

Browning described his emotions as he presided over the
1989 consecration, convinced of the "unmistakable sense of
the utter rightness of that moment." He said that Harris
"has done more to energize and give us a sense of rebirth
than anyone I know. The most exciting day I've spent in
the life of this church was that day of consecration" because
it opened the whole Anglican Communion to new possibilities
for women serving in any role.

Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold said that, among
the qualities he came to appreciate in Harris was her
"graced irreverence, especially in complex situations,
saying something trenchant that moves us to new plains of
insight." Through her struggles, he said that Harris had
developed "a deep sense of truth that is unwavering. What
a gift to this church." In his sermon at a packed convention
All Saints Day Eucharist earlier, he said that Harris stood
in a long line of Christians "who serve as a word for their
age."

The Union of Black Episcopalians Youth Choir provided a jolt
of energy, bringing the audience to its feet. The evening
ended with a dramatic reading based on interviews with Harris
by Anna Deavere Smith of the television series The West Wing,
who has received a MacArthur genius grant for her work as a
playwright of works that combine theatrical art, social commentary,
journalism and intimate reverie. In his introduction of Smith,
Streit said that "she tells us truths we don't always want to
hear, and because she gives voice to those without voice. In other
words, she is a prophet--like Barbara Harris." The audience
roared in recognition and laughter as Smith explored some of
the many facets of the Harris personality.

And then it was over, with a rousing rendition of the hymn
that had been such a highlight of the 1989 consecration,
"Sweet, Sweet Spirit." "It is time to say goodbye and thank
you for being who you are and accepting me as I am. I'd do
it all over again--in a heartbeat," said Harris.

But it's not quite the end of the story for Bishop Harris.
The Diocese of Washington announced a few days later that
Harris, who is moving back to Philadelphia, will serve as
Washington's assisting bishop beginning next summer.
Bishop John Chane said that Harris will bring "a new dimension
of involvement in local and national issues and will encourage
the congregations of the diocese to more effectively understand
and address poverty, racism, war, international concerns, and
the need to seek reconciliation within the life of the Christian
community and the broader interfaith community." Another chapter
begins.

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service
and was director of communications in Massachusetts
when Harris was elected.