From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Williams to be interim director

From Daphne Mack <dmack@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:03:09 -0500

2002-260

Williams to be interim director of
Ethnic Congregational
Development

by Jan Nunley

(ENS) Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold has
announced that the Rt. Rev. Arthur B. Williams, Jr.,
retiring bishop suffragan of the Diocese of Ohio, will
become the part-time acting director of Ethnic
Congregational Development on January 1, 2003.
Williams will officially end his responsibilities with the
Diocese of Ohio at the end of this year, but will continue
as vice president of the House of Bishops through the
2003 General Convention.

In his work with Ethnic Congregational Development,
Williams will be connecting with the Asian-American,
Black, Hispanic, and Native American ethnic
communities and networks to strengthen efforts to grow
and develop ethnic congregations, while at the same time
maintaining an advocacy role within those communities. A
primary focus of his work will be the recruitment of staff
officers and the full-time director of the department to
assist dioceses, provinces, and congregations in this key
area.

Williams, a native of Providence, Rhode Island, and a
graduate of Brown University, was a chaplain in the US
Navy during the Vietnam War. He served as archdeacon
of the Diocese of Ohio, specializing in developing urban
ministries, as well as former chair of the National Editorial
Committee of "Lift Every Voice And Sing II," the Justice,
Peace and Integrity of Creation (JPIC) Committee, and
vice president of the Union of Black Episcopalians
(UBE).

Williams was also co-convenor of the Committee on
Human Sexuality (sometimes called "Committee 25")with
Rebecca Snow of Alaska at the 2000 General
Convention. He has developed a reputation as a
passionate pastor, teacher, and mentor.

In his announcement, Griswold said, "I could not be more
pleased that Bishop Williams has accepted my invitation
to take on this assignment. We are at a critical and
exciting point in our efforts to respond to the energies of
the church for mission, both within existing congregations
and those we have yet to reach. Bishop Williams is a
person of great stature, universally trusted and respected.
He is known for his vigorous efforts over the years
against racism in all its forms and his commitment to social
justice. I know his contributions to our common life will
be invaluable as he steps into this key staff role."

A profile of Williams, published October 20, is on the
web site of the Cleveland Plain Dealer at
http://www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer.