From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

The Missionary Road from Taiwan to the Philippines

From Taiwan Church News <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:37:14 +0800

Taiwan Church News 2646, November 17, 2002
Reported by Gu Hao-ran. Translated and rewritten by David
Alexander

   The Hakka District of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT)
celebrated the second anniversary of its formation on November
11th with a service of thanksgiving and commissioning two
overseas missionaries.	The Rev. Mr. Yu Jer-hong and his spouse,
Chuang Shiou-yu.  She is the first layperson officially appointed
to foreign missionary status by the PCT.
    Mr. Yu and Ms. Chuang served Hakkanese churches in Northern
Taiwan before going to the Philippines to join the work of the
Wycliffe Bible Translators.  They are back for a short time after
three and a half years in a mission compound where they served as
chaplains to the staff and coordinators for overseas Chinese
students on short term mission trips.  The compound is a
community of 250 people, including pilots, teachers and computer
technicians. Through the cross cultural experience (they are the
only ethnic Chinese living full time there) they have overcome
feelings of strangeness and learned the love of God and the
nature of their calling.
   He said, "The experience in the Philippines has broken open my
cultural shell. I thank my colleagues who lovingly tolerated and
forgave my cultural insensitivity and helped me overcome my
loneliness."
   In his address to the Hakka District's leaders he said that
his overseas experience helped him to see how much God has loved
Taiwan, a nation of 12 languages where the New Testament or
entire Bible is available in 10.  He contrasted this with the
world situation, which he described as having 3,000 or more
groups of people who do not yet have the Bible in their mother
tongue.  He thanked the PCT General Assembly for the support he
has received, which he characterized as generous.
   He cautioned people about expectations.  "Over there, from
year to year one does not know what the result will be. We are
forced to rely on the leadership of God."  He plans to return for
another three year term, and asked all present for their prayers.

   The District's newly installed moderator, Ho Bih-an reminded
all present that support donations for Rev.Yu and Ms. Chuang
could be sent directly through the Wycliffe organization in
Taiwan.

For more information:	Yu Jer-hong  joshua-yu@sil.org
		     Hakka District FAX +886 3 422 7335

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Chinese.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw