From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: General Board Addresses Iraq Crisis

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:23:49 -0500

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 11/18/02)--The General
Board of American Baptist Churches USA, meeting here yesterday, issued a
statement urging the pursuit of peace and calling for prayer for the United
Nations, the people of Iraq, our military personnel and all others affected
by the crisis.

The "Declaration on an Issue of Importance: Calling For a Special Season of
Prayer and Intercession in the Prospect of War With Iraq" (affirmed with a
vote of 107 yes, 1 no, 2 abstentions), states:

"The American Baptist Churches USA has always corporately affirmed that the
work for peace is integral to faithfulness to the Gospel and Jesus Christ.
This is clearly and comprehensively stated in the Policy Statement on Peace
(7037:12/85). It is more programmatically detailed in the Policy Statement
on Military and Foreign Policy (7022:3/89).

"The ABCUSA has for years maintained official status as an Non-Governmental
Organization (NGO) at the United Nations, a witness to its commitment to
collective security as essential to international justice. The ABCUSA
biennially celebrates and affirms its witness to peace through the awarding
of the Dahlberg Peace prize, named in memory of the Rev. Edwin H. Dahlberg.
Remembering this history, tradition and calling, and being mindful of the
promise and invocation of our Lord Jesus' words: 'Blessed are the
peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God,' we call upon our
churches and their members to enter into a time of prayer, intercession and
witness in pursuit of peace.

"1.  Let us enter and observe the time of Advent, Christmas and Epiphany as
a special season of prayer and reflection on the way of the Prince of Peace;
the message of the angels, 'Peace on Earth...'; and the committed journey
and search of the Magi for a reign of peace.

"2.  Let us pray for the United Nations that it may continue to be a voice,
a forum and instrument of peace in these days of terror and the prospect of
war. We recommend that President Bush and Secretary of State Powell continue
their efforts to work through the United Nations to resolve the issue of
Iraqi disarmament through inspections and diplomacy.

"3.  Let us be mindful of and in prayer for the people of Iraq who have
already suffered greatly from the brutality and intransigence of their
leaders as well as the regime of sanctions imposed by the allied powers
after the Gulf War. Let us be mindful of the terror upon terror that war
will inflict upon their lives.

"4.  Let us fervently pray for those who serve in our military forces, aware
of the burdens they already carry, such as danger to their lives and
separation from their loved ones. Let us be mindful of the added burden they
will carry should they be called upon for military action in Iraq.

"5.  Believing that Jesus is our Lord and Savior, let each of us prayerfully
and humbly ask: 'Lord, how may I be an instrument of thy peace? How may I
know the benediction of being a peacemaker, one of thy children?'"

02ABN169

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (610)768-2077; fax:
(610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org; richard.schramm@abc-usa.org