From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodists reach out to communities during holiday

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:25:08 -0600

Nov. 19, 2002  News media contact: Kathy Gilbert7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.	10-71BP{533}

NOTE: Photographs are available with this story.

A UMNS Feature
By Kathy L. Gilbert*

Can you keep a secret? On Nov. 27, the 24 residents of Wesley Meadows will be
getting a surprise Thanksgiving feast prepared by their "sisters" at
Millington Wesley Towers.

Wesley Meadows in Halls, Tenn., and Millington Wesley Towers in Millington,
Tenn., are both United Methodist, HUD-subsidized rental units for low-income
senior adults.

"One of the things I really miss is cooking Thanksgiving for family," says
Helen Stiles, 79. She is president of Senior Friends, 35 to 40 women at
Millington who love doing things for others. She will be in charge of cooking
the 20-pound turkey.

"We're all sisters under the skin," she explains.

The Towers has 81 residents, most of them 75 to 80 years old and 95 percent
of them women. The complex is in a more urban area than Wesley Meadows, says
Rick Barrow, manager of both units. It also allows more income per person, so
the residents at Millington have a higher income than their more rural
neighbors in Halls. The average age at the Meadows is between 80 and 85.

"Rick told us we in the Towers are living in luxury compared to the people at
the Meadows," Helen says. "We discussed preparing Thanksgiving dinner, and
everyone was all for it. We're doing this out of love. Our ladies are always
willing to help; they like to stay busy."

Senior Friends will cook turkey, ham, dressing, green beans, candied sweet
potatoes, homemade hot rolls, pumpkin and pecan pies, and provide fruit for
those who can't eat sugar. The women will be cooking the food in their own
kitchens. The food will be transferred to hot trays, loaded into a van, and
delivered door to door at Halls, 53 miles north of Millington.

"We will be the ones receiving a blessing," Stiles says.

This is just one story of generosity inspired by the love of neighbors.
United Methodists across the country will be opening their hearts and doors
to the people in their communities this Thanksgiving. If you are alone this
holiday, chances are the local United Methodist church in your community has
a place at the table for you.

First United Methodist Church in Portales, N.M., invites the entire community
to attend an annual turkey dinner, and delivery is available for those who
are unable to leave their homes. This will be the 49th year the church has
held the dinner, and while the meal is not free, it is "very reasonably
priced," says Nicole A. Tivis, administrative secretary for the church. The
money raised from the dinner is used for various projects to help others.

For the fifth year, Ellis Gregory, 72, has seen to it that no one in his
church family has to have Thanksgiving dinner alone. The Rev. W. Craig Curry
of First United Methodist Church in Farmington, N.M., says Gregory sees this
as his ministry and has several helpers from the church.

"The Sunday before Thanksgiving, I put up a signup sheet, and anyone is
invited to come to the church," Gregory says. "We provide the turkey and ham
and ask those coming to bring a covered dish. I have compassion for people
who don't have a place to go for the holiday. This church is my family."

At St. Paul's United Methodist Church in Las Cruces, N.M., 140 families will
receive Thanksgiving dinners in big brown boxes. The church works with the
community to get the names of families in need. Those names come from an
elementary school one block from the church, a community-based organization
for the poor, a women's shelter for domestic violence victims and a prison
family services group.

"This is a yearly offering of the people of St. Paul's United Methodist
Church to help with families in need in the community," says Loyd Cain,
minister of program. "The families range in size from three to 10-plus
members. On Nov. 25, we will fill the boxes with turkey or ham and all the
trimmings for a full meal based on the size of the family. The boxes will be
delivered on Nov. 26."

"Our church is part of over 14 churches that provide a Thanksgiving Day
dinner at the local recreation center in Denver, Pa.," says the Rev. Gene
Wilkins, pastor of Trinity United Methodist Church. The outreach ministry was
the vision of a member of East Cocalico Church of the Brethren, he says. Two
years ago, when the program started, more than 160 meals were served.

"Last year, over 390 were fed, and this year, who knows?" he says.

For the 20th straight year, the First United Methodist Church of Schuylkill
Haven, Pa., will be offering its annual Thanksgiving dinner for the
community. The dinner is free to all who attend, and the church will provide
transportation if needed.

Students at the University of Texas in El Paso don't have to eat alone
either.

"Our campus ministry feeds 'left behind' students - most of them are
international students - for Thanksgiving Day in the dorm," says the Rev.
Felicia Hopkins. The youth at nearby St. Luke's United Methodist Church cook
and serve the dinner for the students. "It is a part of our 'just because'
ministry. It's a different way to reach out," she says.

Wesley United Methodist Church in St. Joseph, Mo., is adopting four families
and will provide them with Thanksgiving dinner "fixins." "We believe each
family should have the opportunity to share in a Thanksgiving meal together
no matter what their economic situation is," says the Rev. Jim Barnett. In
addition, the church also holds an annual Thanksgiving eve service.

First United Methodist Church in Odessa, Mo., prepares Thanksgiving supper
for the KC Rescue Mission. The members have collected 85 pounds of chicken,
50 pounds of potatoes, and the makings for 250 biscuits and more for the
dinner.

The Rev. Sarah Evans, pastor at Midway Locust Grove, Mo., says her church
holds its annual "Service of Letters" on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. "I
invite members of the congregation to write a letter to God using the
question 'How goes it with your soul?' as the place to start. Letters are
read by me or by the person who wrote it."

Haymes Chapel United Methodist Church in Marshfield, Mo., is a small
congregation of only 21 members. However, every Thanksgiving and Christmas
they find and support a needy family in the area with enough food for more
than one good holiday meal.

"The children at the church (about seven or eight strong) collect money and
buy gifts for other children in Webster County who would not have anything
under their Christmas tree otherwise. This is a congregation that does its
best to reflect God's love for them in their deeds for others," says Wally
Jones, lay missioner co-pastor.

Church members at Evangelical United Methodist Church in Pottsville, Pa., are
celebrating Thanksgiving all month. The youth group has been gathering items
each week to use in making gift bags for the participants at the local soup
kitchen.

A Harvest Home service will be held Nov. 24. "At this service, we bring all
the items to the altar to pray over them, thanking God for the abundance and
seeking his blessing on all who receive each item. This outreach allows our
congregation to meet new friends each year," says the Rev. Bonnie Yeager.

St. Luke United Methodist Church in Bristol, Va., also provides an annual
dinner for the needy, elderly and people from nursing homes. The congregation
provides transportation to the church for the dinner. "Last year, we fed 95;
this year, we expect to serve 150. This is a small church with about 75 in
worship," says the Rev. David Lewis.

"Every year, more than 75 members of Norton (Va.) United Methodist Church
gather with its sister church, Norton First Church of God, to serve a
traditional Thanksgiving dinner to the community. Last year, by 1 p.m.,
nearly 300 dinners had been delivered to people's homes, with an additional
50 meals served at the church," says the Rev. Amy Cook Alcorn.

The Rev. Helen Stafford says Eastwick United Methodist Church of Philadelphia
will prepare and donate 200 Thanksgiving baskets to economically challenged
people. The baskets will be given out Nov. 26, following a special worship
service for the recipients.
Boy Scout Troop 154 and St. John's United Methodist Church in Ivyland, Pa.,
donated the canned goods, while Eastwick United Methodist Church and the
Board of Rabbis of Greater Philadelphia provided the turkeys.

First United Methodist Church in Gallup, N.M., observes Thanksgiving in
several ways, including providing a community meal on the second Thursday in
November.

"The joy of the gathering is that our diverse community of Native American,
Anglo, Hispanic, and Asian come together and eat," says the Rev. Layloni
Louise Drake. "Those funds raised are used by the United Methodist Women for
mission's projects. Their goal every year is (to) give away every penny they
have raised. They feed between 600 and 700 each year."

The church also coordinates the Community Thanksgiving Service on the Sunday
before Thanksgiving, and it participates in a program that provides food
baskets for the needy.

Operation Thanksgiving means more than 600 families will receive Thanksgiving
baskets in the Coatesville, Pa., area Nov. 26. The Rev. George Mamorian, who
retired from Olivet in 2000, was the principal organizer of the program. The
Rev. Joe Tyson, pastor of Olivet United Methodist Church, says church members
have volunteered many hours registering families that are invited to request
a gift of food at Thanksgiving.

Olivet members will join with other community volunteers at the area food
bank to prepare food baskets, and they will help with the distribution. They
will repeat that process in December to distribute Christmas gifts of food.
Says Tyson: "This is the 15th year that the community of Coatesville has
joined together in a united effort to provide for families in need within the
community."
# # #
*Gilbert is a news writer for United Methodist News Service. Cathy Farmer,
Memphis Area director of communications, provided information for this
report.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org