From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Anglican Church of Canada and government ready to settle lawsuits

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:30:01 -0500

November 21, 2002

2002-266

Episcopalians: Anglican Church of Canada and government ready
to settle lawsuits

by James Solheim

(ENS) After years of controversy and faced with bankruptcy, the
Anglican Church of Canada has agreed to a deal with the Canadian
government to share the costs of thousands of lawsuits brought
by Native students who claim abuse while attending residential
schools.

Under the agreement, the church would contribute up to $16
million (US) and the government would pay the rest. Total costs
could reach $1 billion.

About 12,000 of the 90,000 former students have filed claims
alleging physical or sexual abuse while in the boarding schools,
owned by the government but run by the Anglican, Roman Catholic,
Presbyterian and United Churches from the 1930s until most were
closed by the mid-1970s.

Anglicans have been named in about 18 percent of the abuse
cases while Roman Catholics are named in 73 percent, United
Church 8 percent and Presbyterians 1 percent. The agreement with
the government includes only the Anglicans at this point.

"The agreement preserves the financial integrity of the
Anglican Church," said Ralph Goodale, the federal minister
responsible for resolving the claims. "Instead of meeting each
other in court, Canada and the Anglican Church can focus our
efforts together to settle the thousands of outstanding claims
in a more supportive way for victims. This historic agreement
allows the government and church to move beyond the debate of
who pays what."

Goodale said that the "moral leadership shown by the Anglican
Church in accepting the responsibility to the former students of
the Anglican residential schools has opened the door to this
agreement."

Archbishop Michael Peers, primate of the Anglican Church of
Canada, said that the $16 million cap exceeds the assets of the
national church and it is likely that more wealthy dioceses will
be asked to make contributions. The agreement now goes to the 30
dioceses for ratification.

"It makes no sense to bankrupt us," Peers said at a news
conference. "The minute we go bankrupt, the government has to
pay 100 percent." He said that he had participated in "healing
circles and heard of the painful stories of abuse. By entering
this agreement, we are saying that we have heard those stories,
that we acknowledge our tragic part in them."

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service. This
article is based on press reports in the Toronto Star and
UPI.