From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

2002 Christmas Message from LWF President Christian Krause

From "Frank Imhoff" <franki@elca.org>
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:19:31 -0600

Christmas: Message of Hope Built on a Fulfilled and Dignified
Human Life

WOLFENBUETTEL, Germany/GENEVA, 25 November 2002 (LWI) - The
message of hope through Christmas is much needed today in a world
with increasingly little concern for human dignity, and where
poverty and disease undermine life, says Bishop emeritus Dr
Christian Krause, President of the Lutheran World Federation
(LWF), in this year's Christmas message.

The full text of the 2002 LWF Christmas message follows:

2002 Christmas Message from LWF President, Bishop em. Dr Christian
Krause to the communion's member churches

Dear Sisters and Brothers in the worldwide "Communio Lutherana,"

The enduring annual fascination about Christmas is rooted in the
message emanating from this one unique night in the history of
humankind. It is one, indeed it is the message of hope for us and
for our children - here and the world over. We still need it
today; hope built on fulfilled and dignified human life - even in
situations where human dignity is continuously and repeatedly
trampled underfoot, and where poverty and disease undermine life
itself. I think of the millions who are victims of racism, the
oppression and mistreatment of women and children; exploitation of
the "untouchables," the 250 million Dalits on the Indian
subcontinent; I think of the growing stream of refugees, of the
poor and those affected by HIV/AIDS. And I think of Bethlehem on
the West Bank of the Jordan, surrounded by tanks.

While some still blame God for allowing all this brutality and
human suffering, others experience the mystery of Christmas. God
is at their side, is one of them, coming into the world, to the
homeless, in the poverty of a stable. Bethlehem yesterday and
today - it is here that the hope for peace and justice, for
salvation and dignity has a chance, rooted in God's merciful
presence. This hope has a name: Jesus Christ. Follow him!

Sisters and brothers in the worldwide communion of the Lutheran
World Federation, it is my hope that you will place your trust in
the mystery of Christmas and, even when suffering hardship, will
rest assured of God's presence and mercy. "Do not be afraid; ...to
you is born this day ...a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord"
(Luke 2:10-11). As we move into the New Year I greet you with the
theme of our LWF Tenth Assembly, that originates in the hope of
the Christmas message: "For the Healing of the World."

Sincerely,

Bishop emeritus Dr Christian Krause

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the
Lutheran tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund (Sweden), the LWF now
has 136 member churches in 76 countries representing over 61.7
million of the 65.4 mllion Lutherans worldwide. The LWF acts on
behalf of its member churches in areas of common interest such as
ecumenical relations, theology, humanitarian assistance, human
rights, communication, and the various aspects of mission and
development work. Its secretariat is located in Geneva,
Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the information service of
the Lutheran World Federation (LWF). Unless specifically noted,
material presented does not represent positions or opinions of the
LWF or of its various units. Where the dateline of an article
contains the notation (LWI), the material may be freely reproduced
with acknowledgment.]

*	*	*
LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION
PO Box 2100, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
English Editor: Pauline Mumia
E-mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org
Tel: (41.22) 791.63.54
Fax: (41.22) 791.66.30