From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Episcopal school on West Bank buffeted by Mideast violence

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:13:16 -0500

November 26, 2002

2002-269

Episcopalians: Episcopal school on West Bank buffeted by
Mideast violence

by Nancy Dinsmore

A teacher ushered two students into the principal's office at
the Arab Evangelical School, located in the West Bank city of
Ramallah, on a recent Monday morning.

Unlike similar scenarios at most schools, it was the parents not
the children

who were in trouble, neglecting to pay their children's tuition.
Administration officials say this phenomenon has become
increasingly common at the kindergarten-through-12th-grade
academy, forcing them to make some tough decisions. All families
have felt the economic repercussions of the continuing conflict
in the region. The city of Ramallah, a jewel of the West Bank
just a few years ago, has suffered extensive damage since the
latest Intifada started two years ago.

"It's hard to judge who can pay and who can't," said Sister
Vreni Wittwer, director of the school.

Funding problems are just one sign that the Arab Evangelical
School, an institution of the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem,
faces challenging times. The school has a very lively
scholarship program, and actively solicits support for its
students from all over the world. No one is asked to leave the
school for the inability to pay fees. Still, school officials
say they are thankful for the support they have received from
overseas donors, and say they trust that the Lord will provide.

"The Lord called us to pray to give us this day our daily bread;
we don't need bread for a year ahead," Wittwer said. "I'm proud
to say that we've never not paid our teachers' salaries on
time."

Some relief

Indeed, the Arab Evangelical School stayed open from October
till the present time despite regional curfews. During the
latest siege the school had about 90 percent attendance from its
some 540 Christian and Muslim students. Meanwhile, Israelis
loosened army-mandated curfews for the Muslim celebration of
Ramadan, providing slight relief for the students and faculty
during an otherwise dark time, administrators say.

"I cannot say these are easy days, but I can't say they're hard
days at the same time," headmistress Samira Nasser said.

The school library exemplifies Nasser's statement. The library
could use several more Arabic books, and librarian Samia Salameh
said she looks forward to making some purchases with the money
she receives from the Diocese of Jerusalem's book program.
Still, in other ways it is technologically advanced, offering
Internet access and an encyclopedia for computers on CD-ROM.

More tech-related materials will be offered at the soon-to-open
diocesan technological education department, which aims to
provide youth with long-term job skills. That center may start
offering programs across the street for students at the start of
the next semester.

Playing vital role

The first phase of the vocational training center will include
laboratory space for students to take apart phones and other
equipment to see how it works. Seventh, eighth and ninth graders
from the Arab Evangelical School and local Roman Catholic and
Lutheran schools will be the first to use the center.

Eventually, the center will contain a carpentry workshop, an
industrial kitchen for culinary training and a computer lab. It
currently contains a gym with a full basketball court that could
be used by the school or for future student retreats. Giovanni
Anbar, who holds a mechanical engineering degree and vocational
training experience, will manage the center, which stands in a
building formerly used by the Arab Evangelical Home for Boys.

The boys home merged with the girls home several years ago, and
it continues to serve a vital role for 21 children in Ramallah
who lack parental support or whose parents have died.

As in the past, many students at the school still plan to attend
college, and a large percentage aim to go to the nearby Bir Zeit
University. However, many of those students say their future
looks rather bleak these days.

Waiting for God's help

Junior Zaki plans to go to Bir Zeit to study business. But after
that, there are a lot of unknowns, he said. "There is no future
for anybody," he said.

Junior Hala, who hopes to study in France after high school,
also said the situation is grim. She said she hopes for a
long-term solution to the political situation.

"We want to have peace with the Jews," she said, though Zaki
quickly added that he wants Israelis to leave the West Bank.

Like students in other parts of the world, pupils at the Arab
Evangelical School often joke around, talking about pop music
stars or members of the opposite sex. But almost everyone
becomes somber when talking about the political situation that
plagues their region. "Everybody is looking for his food, for
his money," student Qassam said. "It's so hard to live here.
Everybody here has difficulties."

Qassam said he wants other nations to understand the Palestinian
plight.

"We want support not with money or with food, we want their
opinion. We're waiting for the help of God."

War a daily reality

War is a daily reality for students and teachers alike. Ramallah
has not suffered as much as northern cities like Jenin and
Nablus, but the sights of tanks and soldiers have had a
noticeable impact, teachers say.

"You have all these rumors that tanks and planes are coming in,"
said Arab Evangelical School Arabic teacher Najeh Abu Shamsyeh.
"This is really destroying the academic activity."

Such violence warps the worldview of local children, Abu
Shamsyeh said. For example, his 5-year-old son started inventing
rhymes that curse Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. Teacher Fadi
Rafiti, who sat with Abu Shamsyeh in the teacher's lounge, said
his 7-year-old son is obsessed with tanks and guns, and he can
explain the difference between an M-16 and a 500-mm assault
rifle.

"It's almost a natural part of life," Abu Shamsyeh said. "You
can imagine (how the violence affects) the children playing
around the checkpoints."

Like the name of the city itself, which literally means "Hill of
God," administrators at the Arab Evangelical School in Ramallah
say they see the school as a monument of God's work, catering to
a variety of Arabs in the region--even in these difficult times.

"Our brothers, the Muslims, feel private schools have a mission,
and that we can reflect in a positive way toward their
children," Nasser said. "In normal life, we're recognized as one
of the best schools in the area."

------

Digital photos available upon request. For further information
contact:

Nancy J. Dinsmore at devedjer@netvision.net.il

--Nancy Dinsmore is director of development and communications
for the Diocese of Jerusalem.