From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Profile: Lina McCord, Black College Fund pioneer

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 4 Dec 2002 08:41:40 -0600

Dec. 3, 2002 News media contact: Kathy Gilbert7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
  10-31-71BP{564}

NOTE: A photograph of Lina McCord is available with this story.

A UMNS Report
By Kathy L. Gilbert*

UMC.org, the official Web site of the United Methodist Church, is
spotlighting the spiritual journey of Lina McCord, former executive director
of the Black College Fund, in this month's "UMC.org Profiles" audio-feature.
The daughter of a preacher, McCord, 79, recalls the segregation she
experienced growing up in the South and during the era of the old Central
Jurisdiction. The racially segregated Central Jurisdiction of the former
Methodist Church was eliminated in 1968, when the Evangelical United Brethren
and Methodist churches merged to form the United Methodist Church. One of the
first black employees at the United Methodist Board of Higher Education and
Ministry, McCord helped pioneer the Black College Fund intern program that
now carries her name. She is retired and living in Nashville, Tenn.

Q: I understand your father was a pastor. How did being a "preacher's kid"
influence your life?

A: Who I am, what I've done through the years and what I'm doing even now,
has been influenced by my parents, by my father being a preacher. In those
days it was very difficult to be a black preacher. My father was not an
educated man in terms of years of schooling, that sort of thing, but he was
self-taught and very dedicated to the goals that he had in mind and the goals
that he had for us children.

My father served at several churches and we moved several times; all of the
moves were to small churches. I always felt loved and cared for not only by
our family but also by the members of our churches.

Q: Describe the churches you grew up in. What roles did you play?

A: My whole life has been spent in three areas - in our home, in our church
and in our school. My father moved, I can remember, three or four times when
I was a very little girl. But there came a point when my mother decided we're
going to buy a home and we're going to stay in one place until all the
children finished high school. That one place was Kingsport, Tenn. It was a
great time in my life. My parents expected us to go to church. There could be
other things going on in the community, but we had to do what we had to do at
church first. So at a very early period in my life I was singing in the
choir, I was taking up the collection and ushering, and playing the piano.
All of us (children) were able to play piano just well enough to get a hymn
going for service.

My father always taught us that he was the minister/the pastor of the church
and he expected certain things of other people but he could not expect things
of other people that he could not get from his children. So that was an
interesting part of my growing up. I always said that we were encouraged to
be all that we could be.

Q: Did you face segregation and prejudice as you were growing up?

A: Yes, because we just grew up in a segregated society. That was a given. I
didn't know how much that was true because I think my father and my mother
shielded us from a lot. We were able to have contact with the other race, and
they were as giving and loving as they could be under the circumstances. I
think they always looked at us as being poor. So they shared so much.

I later learned how difficult it was when I got out into the world. Just for
an example: In Kingsport, where we spent most of our formative years, we went
any place we wanted, walked down any streets. People were very courteous to
us. We had no difficulty there.

Q: How did your Christian faith help you overcome those obstacles?

McCord: It is hard to get (financial) support for a black church. My dad did
any kind of menial work to keep his family going. I never felt deprived. I
knew after I got out into the world that there was a lot more that I didn't
have. But you don't miss what you don't have.

My father made it a point that he wanted me to go on to school, to make
something of myself. That's the reason, I think, that I had a good life
because of what he taught me. I have told my children and my grandchildren to
think about what they want. I have told them to determine that for themselves
and not to let somebody else define their lives for them.

Q: What do you recall about the Central Jurisdiction and the eventual merging
of the United Methodist Church?

A: Well, we were in the church prior to Central Jurisdiction. I did not
understand it; I just knew that we were traveling distances for my father's
pastorate. I do remember the Central Jurisdiction very well and know that the
church was divided into geographical jurisdictions except for Central
Jurisdiction, and that meant that those people were scattered around all
over. But even with that, they managed to know each other and support each
other.

Moving from the Central Jurisdiction to the other geographical jurisdictions
(after the merger), there was great difficulty in handling some things
because there was inequity in the salaries, benefits and so forth. So those
were all details that had to be worked out. But it moved faster than I
thought it would move.

Q: What were the paths that led you to become the director of the Black
College Fund for the United Methodist Board of Higher Education and Ministry?

A: I have worked in the church most of my life. After I finished college, I
went to
Morristown (Tenn.) and I worked there for almost a year until I married. My
husband (Jerry) and I went to Atlanta, and I worked again in seminary for
several years while he was a student at Morehouse College. When his mother
became ill we moved to Nashville to take care of her and my father-in-law.

Much to my surprise, Dr. (James) Thomas, who is now a retired bishop in the
church, called me one day and asked me if I would consider coming to work at
the Board of Higher Education. And I said, 'Yeah, sure I will.' I didn't know
anything about the job or what it would entail, but I did know that it was a
good place. I liked him and his family. So that's how I came to the board.
That was in 1959, I believe.

Q: What was your degree in?