From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOAA - HELLENIC COLLEGE WINS $2 MILLION GRANT FROM LILLY ENDOWMENT

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:30:52 -0800

		    GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
    8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021  Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212)
				  774-0215
	 Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 02, 2002

Hellenic College and Holy Cross
Greek Orthodox School Of Theology
Tel: (617) 731-3500

HELLENIC COLLEGE WINS $2 MILLION GRANT FROM
LILLY ENDOWMENT TO ESTABLISH CENTER FOR
THEOLOGICAL STUDY OF VOCATION

Brookline, MA -- Hellenic College is one of 39 colleges and universities in
the country to receive a $2 million grant from Lilly Endowment Inc. that
begins or enhances programs that help prepare a new generation of leaders
for church and society.  This five-year implementation grant will initiate
the College's "We Offer These Gifts" project.

"Our Hellenic College and Holy Cross family, trustees, faculty, staff and
students, embraces with respect and resolve this visionary and generous
grant from the Lilly Foundation," said President, Rev. Fr. Nicholas C.
Triantafilou.  "The foundation's gift offers an opportunity for creative
exploration and practical application of a sensitive and life effecting
area of service to our young people."

"We Offer These Gifts" will establish for Hellenic College an Office for
Vocations and Ministries to provide high school and college students with
opportunities to discern their life's vocations, including the possibility
of pursuing ordination in the Orthodox Church.	The Office will create
vocational assessment programs for Hellenic College undergraduates, a
summer institute for high school students, and offer opportunities for
Faculty and administration to reflect on and develop their vocations
through seminars and grants.  "We Offer These Gifts" will also firmly
establish a national Office for Orthodox Christian Fellowships (OCF), a
North American, inter-Orthodox effort to develop and coordinate campus
ministry programs.

The grant "will create a heretofore non-existent program where Orthodox
young adults will have the opportunity to consider their life goals and
faith convictions within a theologically oriented conversation," according
to His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios. "Such conversations will, I hope and
pray, lead these young individuals along a path of service to their Church,
community, and the world."

Created in 1937, the Endowment is a private philanthropic foundation that
supports the causes of religion, education, and community development as
well as initiatives that benefit youth, foster leadership education among
nonprofit institutions, and promote the causes of philanthropy and
volunteerism.

Founded in 1968, Hellenic College is the only fully accredited, four-year
Orthodox Christian college in America.	It offers a liberal arts education
with concentrations in Classics, Elementary Education, Human Development,
Management & Leadership, Management Information Systems and Religious
Studies.  This award is the largest grant given to Hellenic College and
Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology.