From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Christmas message of Archbishop Rowan Williams

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 6 Dec 2002 14:02:14 -0500

December 6, 2002

2002-275

Episcopalians: Christmas message of Archbishop Rowan Williams

One of the great treasures of the Christian world is the great
heritage of Christmas songs and carols in the English language
from the Middle Ages. Modern composers still want to set these
beautiful and often surprising words. Some will have heard the
carol beginning "There is no rose of such virtue as is the Rose
that bare Jesu" which picks up the ancient tradition of
describing Mary as the rose blossoming from the wintry earth of
human history.

But the important words come in the second verse: "For in
this Rose contained was Heaven and earth in little space." Jesus
in the womb of Mary is already the one "in whom all the fullness
of the Godhead dwells bodily," in St Paul's wonderful words in
Colossians. The eternal Son of God is not contained by the
universe; he is what surrounds and sustains it all. Heaven and
earth live by the gift of life from him ("in him was life," says
St. John's Gospel).

And here, in the "little space" of Mary's body, divine
fullness is alive; when Jesus is born, "the fullness of him who
fills all in all," to quote Paul again, is wrapped in cloths and
tucked into a feeding trough. After the crucifixion, the
fullness of God's life is locked away in the tomb. God's way
with us is not to overwhelm us with majesty but to live his life
"in little space" and to speak there the quiet words that summon
us to faith.

Only when we are very quiet can we hear. Only when we stand
still can we give him room. Faced with the fullness of God in
the embryo, the baby, the tired wanderer in Galilee, the body on
the cross, we have to look at ourselves hard, and ask what it is
that makes us too massive and clumsy to go into the "little
space where we meet God in Jesus Christ.

It may be our wealth and security; it may be our ambition; it
may be our images of ourselves as powerful or virtuous or godly.
The world--and the Church--are still fairly full of people (like
you and me) who walk around surrounded by inflated ideas and
pictures of ourselves that crowd out others and push away God.
We need at Christmas above all to remember what Christ says
again and again--that there is no way in to his little space
without shedding our great load of arrogant self-reliance,
bluster, noisy fear and fantasy.

And when we have set this aside, we find that it is only in
the little space that there is room enough for all of
us--forgiven, welcomed, made inheritors of the divine fullness
of life and joy that God longs to share with us. Behind the low
door of the stable is infinity--and more, an infinity of mercy
and love. No straining our eyes to see a distant God; but a God
whose fullness dwells in that space we are not small and simple
enough to enter.

+Rowan Cantuar

Rowan D. Williams, 104th Archbishop of Canterbury

------

[Also availble in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese,
Spanish and Swahili from http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/