From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS- Archbishop of Canterbury confirmed - Lambeth Palace news

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 18:04:43 -0800

ACNS 3214     |     LAMBETH PALACE     |     2 DECEMBER 2002

Archbishop of Canterbury confirmed - Lambeth Palace news release

The confirmation of the election of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr
Rowan Williams, has taken place at St Paul's Cathedral, London, England. In
a formal ceremony, nine bishops of the Church of England (including the
Archbishop of York) confirmed that Rowan Douglas Williams had been properly
chosen and elected as Archbishop of Canterbury by the Dean and Chapter of
Canterbury Cathedral.

Dr Williams now formally becomes Archbishop of Canterbury and assumes the
title and style of the office.

Dr Williams said, "It's a very humbling thing to be included in this long
succession of Archbishops and a very humbling thing to be aware of the trust
that has been placed in my hands.

"I pray for God's guidance as I seek to meet this new challenge - a
challenge I face with a sense of inadequacy but also with hope, with joy and
with enthusiasm. I am deeply grateful for all the support that has been
given to me and the prayers that are being offered."

Later this month, Dr Williams and his family will move to Lambeth Palace.
After a period of rest, retreat and preparation, he will be formally
enthroned in Canterbury Cathedral on 27 February 2003 and begin a full
public ministry as Archbishop of Canterbury.