From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - "Archbishop Rowan is a gift to the whole church" says

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 18:27:19 -0800

ACNS 3209     |     ENGLAND	|     30 NOVEMBER 2002

"Archbishop Rowan is a gift to the whole church" says Affirming Catholicism

Affirming Catholics set a day of prayer and thanksgiving for the next
Archbishop of Canterbury's ministry on 6 December 2002.

"We are increasingly aware of the vast ministry portfolio that the
Archbishop carries on behalf of Anglicans and Episcopalians around the
world," said Archdeacon Stephen Conway, Chairman of Affirming Catholicism.
"If we take our faith and practice seriously we need to give thanks for
those called to such an important office and to keep them in our prayers."

The day of prayer and thanksgiving comes in the Advent season of expectation
and hope and is the feast day of one of the most beloved third century
bishops of the Church, St Nicholas of Myra. Nicholas is venerated in many
Christian churches throughout the world and appears in the calendar of
Anglican Churches throughout the Communion. "St Nicholas Day is
traditionally a time of gifts, which makes it an excellent day to celebrate
what a gift from God Rowan is to the whole Church," Father Conway writes.

The Archdeacon asks members of the movement to pray on 6th December in the
Advent newsletter sent out to all members this week. A short litany and
collect have been provided. The invitation to pray is extended to other
Christians who wish to use the material and join in.

He is also urging affirming catholics to continue to remember Dr Williams in
the months and years ahead, both privately and publicly in their own parish
churches. Archdeacon Conway says "We also want to offer our support and
prayer for his wife, Jane, and their two children."

Affirming Catholicism, a renewal and spirituality movement in the Church of
England, the Church in Wales, the Church of Ireland, the Scottish Episcopal
Church and the wider Anglican Communion, has asked its members to set 6
December as a day to pray for the work, witness and ministry of the
Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Dr Rowan Williams. Dr Williams
is to be enthroned 104th Archbishop of Canterbury in his cathedral on 27
February 2003.

The Prayers are as follows:

For the renewal of communion among Christians and for the healing of our
divisions that the world may believe; let us pray to the Lord. Lord have
mercy.

For Archbishop Rowan, preparing for his new ministry amongst us, that he may
know the grace of the Spirit; for his family, preparing to move to a new
home; let us pray to the Lord. Lord have mercy.

For all bishops, priests and deacons, and the whole people of God, that we
may be found faithful in the ministry to which God calls us; let us pray to
the Lord. Lord have mercy.

For the Church where it is strong, that it may prefer nothing to the love of
Christ; for the Church where it is weak, that it may know God's power to
save; let us pray to the Lord. Lord have mercy.

O God of unchangeable power and eternal light,
look favourably on your whole Church,
that wonderful and sacred mystery.
By the effectual working of your providence,
carry out in tranquillity the plan of salvation.
Let the whole world see and know
that things which were cast down are being raised up,
and things which had grown old are being made new,
and that all things are being brought to their perfection
by him through whom all things were made,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

www.affirmingcatholicism.org.uk