From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org
ECUMENICAL DOCUMENTATION AND INFORMATION CENTRE IN SOUTHERN
Worldwide Faith News <email@example.com>
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 14:00:19 -0800
Tendai Chikuku <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date - Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:50:20 +0200
THE ECUMENICAL DOCUMENTATION AND INFORMATION CENTRE IN SOUTHERN AFRICA
The horizon of religion and the media have touched ...and we all have to
Religions, NGO's , government representatives , journalists , academics and
civic society meeting at Quality International Hotel in Harare on the 5th
December , 2002 for a media training Workshop on Non -Violent Language in
Reporting , organized by the Ecumenical Documentation and
Information Centre in
Southern Africa ( EDICISA ) together with the Zimbabwe Forum for Interfaith
Expressed concern at the polarization of the Zimbabwean society and the
Acknowledged that the Church , media and civic society can collaborate in
the promotion of tolerance for diversity and the use of non- violent
Agreed that peace breeds economic prosperity and the media has a
fundamental role in promoting peace.
Diversity of opinions and views should be tolerated.
Called on the media to practice preventive journalism by seeking the truth,
reporting it and preventing the situation where there is power without
Called upon the media to desist from being unnecessarily adversarial.
The Church and other faiths to hold views consistent with the views of
their constituents .
Agreed on the way forward as follows:
1. Journalists need to be involved in more training workshops in
non-violent reporting .
2. Journalists should be guided by the truth and non- violent language in
3. Journalists should be guided by a social and moral responsibility for
the benefit of society .
4. There is need to institutionalize the training of journalism in Zimbabwe.
5. Journalists must be facilitators of peace , harmony and unity.
6. Responsible journalism brings prosperity to a nation .
7. Journalists should report the truth wisely .
8. Journalists should be objective and offer both sides of the story .
9. The media should avoid partisan reporting .
May the Almighty help us as we humbly try TO DO WHAT WE MUST DO
Browse month . . .
Browse month (sort by Source) . . .
Advanced Search & Browse . . .