From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples News Brief

From "Wilma Shufitt" <wshuffit@cm.disciples.org>
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:44:05 -0500

Date: December 11, 2002
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Melinda Mains
Phone: 317-713-2496
E-mail: mmains@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

Disciples News Brief
December 11, 2002

ADVENT LETTER HIGHLIGHTS PROGRESS TOWARD VISION

INDIANAPOLIS, December 11, 2002 -- In an advent letter to congregations
General Minister and President Richard L. Hamm lifts up key progress
toward the Disciples of Christ vision "to be a faithful, growing church
that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality and a
passion for justice."

Hamm acknowledges the challenges facing the denomination as we seek to
fulfill our mission "to be and to do the Good News of Jesus Christ,
witnessing loving and serving from our doorsteps 'to the ends of the
earth.'" (Acts 1:8) "The Disciples of Christ are changing, not dyingand
change we must if we are to respond to the changes in our world, which
is our mission field," writes Hamm.

The full text of the letter can be read or downloaded at:
http://www.disciples.org/advent.htm.

Contact:
Melinda Mains
317-713-2496
mmains@cm.disciples.org

			    ***************

DECEMBER 31 DEADLINE TO ENTER
DHE'S LEADERSHIP HARVEST PROGRAM NEARS

ST. LOUIS, December 11, 2002 -- The deadline is approaching for
congregations to submit entries describing their innovative programs to
help develop young leaders.

The Leadership Harvest contest will award six $500 grants to youth
groups or congregations to support future leadership development
programs. Congregations will be categorized by their average worship
attendance: up to 100, 101 to 200, and above 200, with two recipients in
each category.

Groups wishing to apply for the grant program must have celebrated
their leadership development programs during each worship service on
November 3, 2002, which was Higher Education Sunday, or another Sunday
during November. Entries must be postmarked no later than December 31,
2002, to be considered. Grant recipients will be announced in January.
For complete details visit the web.
http://www.dhedisciples.org/dhe/02/DHE-LeadershipHarvest-120902.html

Contact:
Division of Higher Education