From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church agency plans legislative briefing for March

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:26:08 -0600

Dec. 12, 2002  News media contact: Joretta Purdue7(202) 546-87227Washington
  10-21-71B{573}

WASHINGTON (UMNS) - The international advocacy agency of the United Methodist
Church will hold a legislative briefing for local church leaders March 2-5.

The event will help church social action leaders respond to moral and
political issues as the new Congress tackles its agenda, the Board of Church
and Society said.

Several notable United Methodists, including President Bush, Sen. Hillary
Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Richard G. Lugar (R-Ind.), have been invited
to speak.

With a theme of "Gospel Demands, Public Witness," the event will offer
advocacy training, issue briefings and opportunities for congressional
visits.

Workshops will focus on such topics as the war on terrorism; affordable
housing; substance abuse; health care; mental illness; the Middle East
crisis; military spending; the environment and the HIV/AIDS pandemic.

"Our churches are deeply involved in mercy ministries every day," said Jim
Winkler, the board's top staff executive. "But we are to do more than love
mercy - we are called to do justice. It isn't enough to feed the hungry; we
must also work to starve the systems that create hunger. Mercy and justice
must work together, and that's what this legislative briefing is all about.
We believe every local church should be a center for justice and an engine
for social action."

Registration is under way. Students and those registering before year's end
will receive a discount. For more information, visit
http://www.umc-gbcs.org/legislative1_brief.htm online or call the Board of
Church and Society, (202) 488-5600.
# # #

United Methodist News Service