From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3229 Rowan Williams: will bring intellectual rigor, chart

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:31:37 -0000

ACNS 3229     |     USA     |	  12 DECEMBER 2002

Rowan Williams: will bring intellectual rigor, chart theological path

by Geralyn Wolf

The Most Revd Rowan Williams was recently named as the 104th Archbishop of
Canterbury. Bishop Williams was the Archbishop of Wales. When he is
enthroned at Canterbury Cathedral on February 27th, he will be the first
bishop from outside the Church of England to hold this post.

Archbishop Williams is a theologian and educator, and is often described as
one who is theologically orthodox and socially liberal. He is a strong
supporter of the ordination of women, and has ordained a homosexual in a
committed relationship. He describes himself as a pacifist, and was quick to
pass judgement on his government's position on the war in Afghanistan. Rowan
Williams is a prayerful man, who in seeking the heart and mind of Christ
often takes surprising turns. With any election or appointment, some rejoice
over the selection and others are terribly dismayed. Such is the case now,
as some in the Anglican Communion speak of further division.

Personally, I am delighted with the appointment. Archbishop Williams will
bring intellectual rigor to our various conversations. He will help us chart
a theological path through the many issues that confront the church today,
including the difficult challenges of mission and sacrifice. I had the
pleasure of living close to the Archbishop at the Lambeth Conference in
1998, and in being assigned to the same dining hall. We had several generous
conversations, where I discovered that he sees many sides to a situation, is
energetic, warm and exceedingly thoughtful. His clarity and forthrightness
are refreshing. From a mutual friend, I learned that he does not drive,
reads incessantly, and sees his present role as teacher and sacramentalist.
He is a warm and gifted man, a solitary in many ways, and eager to place the
voice of the church in the midst of worldly and theological conversations. I
am looking forward to serving with this new and interesting Archbishop of
Canterbury.

[The Rt Revd Geralyn Wolf is bishop of the Diocese of Rhode Island in the
USA. The above article was published in 'Risen', the diocesan newspaper]