From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples News Brief

From "Wilma Shufitt" <wshuffit@cm.disciples.org>
Date Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:19:59 -0500

Date: December 20, 2002
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Melinda Mains
Phone: 317-713-2496
E-mail: mmains@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

Disciples News Brief
December 20, 2002

NORTH CAROLINA CALLS RICHARDSON AS
NEW REGIONAL MINISTER

The Rev. John McKinney Richardson currently interim minister of First
Christian Church, Athens, Ga., has been called as regional minister for
the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in North Carolina beginning
on March 17, 2003.

He received his bachelor of science in business administration in 1973
from Harding University, Searcy, Ark., and master of divinity degree at
Austin (Texas) Presbyterian Theological Seminary in 1983.

Richardson, a veteran Disciples minister, has served in a variety of
avenues over the past 20 years, as senior minister, youth minister,
resident chaplain in a large hospital, and as director of development
for a National Benevolent Association center.

He and his wife Jeannine are the parents of two daughters, Julie and
Joy.

						  *****

GEORGIA REGIONAL MINISTER AND ASSOCIATE RESIGN

Today, in a letter sent to all congregations of the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ) in Georgia, Sandra Kay Barnhill, Regional
moderator announced the resignations of the Revs. Tom Neal, Regional
Minister, and Alfred Dotson, Associate Regional Minister for
Administration. The resignations were tendered to the Executive
Committee of the Regional Board, effective Wednesday, December 18,
2002.

Barnhill acknowledged the service both provided. "We are grateful for
the work they have done in our region and support them as they move to
the next ministry opportunity God has for them. We thank Tom and Alfred
for their gifts to our region and wish them the very best," wrote
Barnhill.

The Rev. Michael Weeks will serve as acting regional minister until an
interim minister is called.

For the full text of the congregational letter go to:
http://www.gadisciples.org.

						*****

CHURCH EXTENSION ANNOUNCES NEW
ONLINE INVESTING OPTION

New online purchasing capabilities just launched by Church Extension of
Disciples of Christ place the opportunity to support church growth at
the fingertips of investors, according to the organization's treasurer.

"Since 1883, Church Extension investments have served to assist local
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) congregations in planning,
financing and maintaining the facilities that are used as tools of
ministry for the gospel of Christ," said Erick D. Reisinger, executive
vice president and treasurer. "This new service represents the 21st
century version of delivering information and access our investors need
to support Church Extension's mission -- from the comfort of their own
keyboards."
http://www.churchextension.org/about/news.htm

						  *****

LILLY ENDOWMENT ANNOUNCES 2003
NATIONAL CLERGY RENEWAL PROGRAM

Ministers and their congregations around the country are invited to
participate in the 2003 National Clergy Renewal Program offered by the
Indianapolis-based Lilly Endowment Inc. This will be the fourth year for
the program in which the Endowment funds congregations whose pastors and
parishioners, working together, produce compelling plans for an extended
sabbatical time for the minister and a complementary set of activities
for congregational renewal.

For more information, please contact the program Web site at
http://www.clergyrenewal.org, send an email to
clergyrenewal@yahoo.com, call 317-916-7302 or write Lilly Endowment,
Religion Division, 2801 N. Meridian St., PO Box 88068, Indianapolis, IN
46208.

				      *****

WASHINGTON POST ARTICLE REPORTS DECISION BY
NATIONAL CITY CHRISTIAN CHURCH

In an article on December 10, 2002 the Washington Post reported a
recent decision by the elders at National City Christian Church. In a
unanimous vote, the elders agreed to allow the Rev. Alvin O. Jackson to
perform a commitment ceremony for two members of the congregation.

The following is a portion of a release issued by National City. "For
National City Christian Church this is not a matter of political
correctness, but theological correctness. It is a matter of standing up
for what we believe about the gospel. We believe that we cannot ask
people to check at the door a significant part of their identity before
they enter the church. All we can require of people is a confession of
faith in Jesus Christ and a willingness to live a life of commitment.
This then is a matter of commitment to each other, commitment to the
faith, commitment to National City Christian Church and a commitment to
commitment itself. We welcome your comments, your prayers and your
support as we continue on our journey," the release said.

Within the Disciples tradition, individual congregations make policy
decisions that govern their expressions of ministry.

					  *****

GRANT FROM LILLY ENDOWMENT TO FUND
NATIONAL CITY RESIDENCY PROGRAM

National City Christian Church of Washington, D.C., has been selected
by the Lilly Endowment, Inc. to receive a grant of $824,999 from the
Endowment's Transition-into-Ministry Program. As part of its Pastoral
Leadership Development efforts, the Lilly Endowment, an
Indianapolis-based foundation, "seeks to support efforts to improve and
enhance the quality of ministry in American congregations and parishes."

					      *****

DRURY CHAPLAIN HONORED AS OUTSTANDING TEACHER

The Rev. Dr. Peter Browning, associate professor of religion and
university chaplain, received the Governor's Award for Excellence in
Teaching during a luncheon in Jefferson City, Mo. He was one of 65
teachers from Missouri postsecondary schools, colleges and universities
recognized with the award.
http://www.drury.edu/multinl/story.cfm?ID=6755&NLID=124

					    *****

FIRST YEAR-LONG HOMELAND MISSION INTERN

Laura Hamm will serve as the first year-long Homeland Mission Intern
serving at Yakama Christian Mission in White Swan, Wash. Ministry at
this Disciple Mission Center is accomplished through worship, pastoral
care, and its program ministries.  Hamm will be working with the After
School Program, School to Work program, ESL class, coordinating youth
volunteers and developing an environmental program for the mission.
http://www.homeland.org/WhatsNewDHM.htm#Hamm