From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3241 Message of Solidarity with the Palestinian People

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Tue, 24 Dec 2002 00:23:45 -0000

ACNS 3241     |     MIDDLE EAST     |	  23 DECEMBER 2002

Message of Solidarity with the Palestinian People

As members of the NGO Working Group on Israel-Palestine, representing
religious and secular organizations from around the world, we join the
United Nations in observing the International Day of Solidarity with the
Palestinian People. We wish to express our grave concern about the
continuous and unbroken violence that has claimed too many innocent lives in
the Middle East. We condemn all forms of violence against all human beings.
On this day of Palestinian commemoration, we lift up in protest the
collective and individual violence of Israel against the people of
Palestine.

We embrace Palestinians and Israelis alike who advocate a just peace in the
Middle East. Like us, they are Gods children and we therefore wish to
assure them all of our support in ending this long and troubled conflict. We
offer our sympathy and solidarity to all those who struggle for a just peace
and just co-existence of Israel and Palestine according to UN resolutions.

We recognize that the main cause of the conflict is the occupation of the
West Bank and Gaza Strip by Israel. Israeli control cripples the economy and
destroys the social fabric. Thus in solidarity with the Palestinian people,
we urge the United Nations to immediately implement all the resolutions
passed to create a viable Palestinian state with secure boundaries for it
and Israel. This is the only basis for a just peace in the region.

We call on the United Nations, the Quartet, and the United States to be
unbiased brokers in establishing peace negotiations and protecting the human
rights of Palestinians and Israelis. Because of its massive military and
economic assistance to Israel, the United States has a unique responsibility
in persuading Israel to end its oppression of civil society in Palestine and
to fully join the peace process.

In solidarity with the Palestinian people, we support the efforts of the
Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian
People to document and publicize cruelty and unnecessary hardship being
imposed on the Palestinians. Hence, we will publicize the same efforts and
stories from partners in the Middle East through our networks in the hope
that the governments of the United Nations will make the plight of the
Palestinian people a priority in December and January during commemorations
of all the religions in the Holy Land.

signed,

Betty Bailey, Global Ministries Board, United Church of Christ/Disciples of
Christ
John Kim, Fellowship of Reconciliation
Taimalelagi Fagamalama Tuatagaloa-Matalavea, Anglican Observer to the UN
John Rempel, Mennonite Central Committee UN Office