From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwanese University Students hold 40th Theology Camp

From Taiwan Church News <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 09:55:09 +0800

Taiwan Church News 2653, January 5, 2003
Reported by Li Hsin-ren. Translated and rewritten by David
Alexander

   The Campus Ministries Department of the Presbyterian Church in
Taiwan (PCT) will hold the 40th session of the "Bible and
Theology Study Camp" from January 20 to 25 this year.  The small
group leaders and counselors have already met for training, and
other preparations are on schedule.
   This year's conference will read though the book of Exodus.
For many years now the conference has rotated through Luke,
Romans, Genesis and Exodus on a four year cycle.  This gives
participants an exposure to different types of biblical
literature and varying theological approaches if they attend
during their years in university. The Rev. Chia Hui-koan (Hsieh
Huei-chuan), director of the University Student Center in
Longevity Mountain Presbytery, said, "By direct study of the
contents of Exodus we will see things in Moses' leadership of the
children of Israel that are relevant for the current situation in
Taiwan."
   This year's conference will be staffed by 50 small group
leaders and counselors.  Apart from the directors and staff of
the local presbyteries' campus ministry centers many theological
seminary students and involved clergy will pitch in.
   To prepare the workers, two days of training were held in
Kaohsiung.  The Rev. Kuo Rong-Min, an Old Testament scholar,
spoke on the text of Exodus, expositing some of the difficult
parts.	The Rev. Te* Eng-ji, formerly a campus minister in both
Kaohsiung and Taipei, addressed the trainees on "The Spirit of
the Bible and Theology Camp and the nature of the counselor's
task."
   Rev. Chia said, "We have about 250 people registered already.
The conference grounds are generally equipped to handle only 200
participants, so we have had to put many people on a waiting
list.  We need to pray about the site and facilities."
   Alongside the conference and all its meetings there will be a
book sale and slide show from past conferences.  Prominent
student leaders from the past will give lectures, lead worship
services and call on participants to offer their lives in service
to God through the church.

For more information: highedu@mail.pct.org.tw
		      Chia Hui-koan: ssktl@ms47.hinet.net
		      Te* Eng-ji: enggi@mail.pct.org.tw

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw