From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOA - New Director of New Department Of Parish Renewal,

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:01:46 -0800

		    GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
    8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021  Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212)
				  774-0215
	 Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 13, 2003

Archbishop Appoints Director of New Department Of Parish Renewal, Outreach
and Evangelism

New York, NY -- His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios, in fulfilling mandates
of the Philadelphia and Los Angeles Clergy-Laity Conferences, has announced
the appointment of Fr. James Kordaris as Director of the new Archdiocesan
Department of Parish Renewal, Outreach and Evangelism.

In announcing this appointment, Archbishop Demetrios noted, "It is a great
joy to make available the services of this new department to our entire
Archdiocese.  I know that Fr. Kordaris, and the Board appointed to assist
him, will put forth every effort to bring the Gospel of our Lord to all
those within the boundaries of our Archdiocese of America who thirst to
know The Way, The Truth and The Life.  May God bless this new initiative to
make Orthodoxy	available to contemporary America."

In the planning stages for four years, this department was initiated last
year with the appointment of a Board, whose members, one clergyman and one
layperson from each Metropolis of the Archdiocese, were appointed by their
respective hierarchs.  This Board met twice over the past year, co-chaired
by Bishop Dimitrios of Xanthos and Mr. Louis Nicozisis, and adopted an
initial mission statement which states:  "Our mission is to enable the
Orthodox Christian Faith in America to grow through a deeper commitment to
our Lord, Jesus Christ, within His Church, reaching out and welcoming those
wishing to embrace Orthodoxy, as well as the unchurched, and through the
establishment of new parishes."

Fr. Kordaris was born and raised in Minneapolis, MN.  Married to Cally
(Moraitis), he has BA (1979) and MBA(1983) degrees from the University of
Minnesota.  At the St. Mary Church in Minneapolis, he served in many
capacities, including President of the Parish Council, and President of the
AHEPA chapter.

Following twelve years in the financial services industry, he was called to
enter Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology, receiving his Masters
of Divinity degree in 1999.  He was ordained to the Diaconate in 1998, and
to the Priesthood in 1999.  He has served at parishes in Jamaica, NY and
Roslyn Heights, NY.

The Archdiocese Department of Parish Renewal, Outreach and Evangelism will
be located at the St. Basil Academy in Garrison, NY.  Fr. Kordaris will
assume his new responsibilities as of Monday, January 13, 2003.