From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3267 Extract from a Sermon by HG Bishop Nathan Hovhannisian

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:35:39 -0000

ACNS 3267     |     ENGLAND	|     21 JANUARY 2003

Extract from a Sermon by HG Bishop Nathan Hovhannisian

Primate of the Armenian Church of Great Britain and Pontifical Legate

St Margaret's Church, London

19th January 2003

Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ:

But we have this treasure in clay jars, so that it may be made clear that
this extraordinary power belongs to God and does not come from us. (2
Corinthians 4:7)

We are assembled here today in order to pray for hope, compassion and unity.
Yet, outside the doors of this Church, expectations and levels of violence
and terrorism, as much as genocide, destruction, poverty, despair,
hopelessness, threat and disunity are hovering over our own country as much
as the world from the Palestinian City of Bethlehem, birthplace of our Lord,
to the African shores of Zanzibar. Where is that Christian voice? How much
stronger would we become if we managed to speak in a Christian voice that
reflects our unity not only on lofty principles but equally on issues of
justice and peace for the long-suffering peoples of the world. That is one
of the practical benefits of unity - not only an idea to pursue for its own
sake, but the hope of using our faith to make a change toward the better -
for ourselves, our families and friends, our country and our whole world.