From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3270 Archbishop says homosexuality must be addressed

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:42:51 -0000

ACNS 3270     |     SOUTHERN AFRICA	|     22 JANUARY 2003

Archbishop says homosexuality must be addressed

[Tulleken & Associates] The Archbishop of Southern Africa, the Most Revd
Njongonkulu Ndungane, has called on Southern Africa's 10 million baptized
Anglicans at all levels to urgently address the issue of homosexuality and
to do so in a manner that will generate mutual understanding and bring
people out of their "corners of conviction."

This follows a resolution adopted at the recent Anglican synod, which noted
the pastoral needs of the homosexually orientated. The synod gave thanks for
the role played by gay and lesbian members within the church and urged that
they be affirmed and welcomed. The bishops were asked to designate task
groups to address relevant practical pastoral issues, including same sex
unions. Gay and lesbian members were urged to participate in the
proceedings.

It is against this backdrop that Archbishop Ndungane has circulated an
eight-page discussion document on human sexuality. This is being sent to
bishops, clergy, parishes, theological colleges and Anglican organisations
in South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Mozambique, Angola, Namibia and St
Helena.

The document warns that, besides threatening the unity of the Anglican
Communion, the matter of homosexuality is causing deep pain on both sides of
the debate.

"People are hurting as they continue to feel rejected, despised,
misunderstood, demonised and 'unchurched' because of their orientation and
their convictions. For reasons of compassion and care for each other in the
Body of Christ, we have no option but to engage and to seek better
understanding."

Furthermore, the document states that others are hurting because they
believe that central Gospel demands are being compromised and need to be
protected, defended and witnessed to. "They believe that somehow the Faith
is at stake. Our zeal for the truth of the Gospel and the leading of the
Spirit constrains us."

The first step is to first find common foundations. "We are all committed to
seeking God's truth and respect the authority of the Scriptures, the
disagreement only emerges when we try to understand and articulate the
nature of this authority. There is also common ground in our belief that
human sexuality is a gift from God but that promiscuity, predatory sexual
behaviour, paedophilia and pornography are sinful. We all believe in moral
standards and that all humans are loved by God and that we are called to
love our neighbour."

Addressing the evolving interpretation of the Scriptures the discussion
document lists several examples such as slavery, the status of women,
remarriage after divorce and the lending of money at interest, where the
Church has come to understand God's teaching in a different way.

"This," says the Archbishop, "Is not an issue that will go away, we must not
only talk to each other but be prepared to listen as well."