From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC General Secretary Calls for Fasting, Peace Prayers Jan. 27

From "Nat'l Council of Churches" <nccc_usa@ncccusa.org>
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:53:13 -0500

National Council of Churches
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252/2227
news@ncccusa.org; www.ncccusa.org
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC GENERAL SECRETARY CALLS FOR FASTING, PRAYERS FOR PEACE JAN. 27

January 23, 2003, NEW YORK CITY - Dr. Bob Edgar, General Secretary of the
National Council of Churches, today (Jan. 23) called on people of faith to
fast and pray for peace on Monday - the first of three days of events that
will help determine history, he said.

On Monday, the United Nations Security Council is to receive a progress
report on weapons inspections in Iraq.	On Tuesday, President Bush delivers
the annual State of the Union address.	On Wednesday, Win Without War and
other national coalitions are calling for a day of local actions against
military intervention in Iraq.

The full text of Dr. Edgars call follows:

I am calling on all people of faith to observe Monday, January 27, 2003, as
a national day of prayer and fasting for a peaceful resolution of the Iraq
crisis. This day is the first of three days of events that will help
determine history.

The United Nations Security Council is scheduled on January 27 to receive a
progress report from chief UN weapons inspector Hans Blix. On Tuesday,
January 28, President George W. Bush will stand before the assembled leaders
of the United States Congress in Washington, D.C., and deliver the annual
State of the Union address.  The following day, Wednesday, January 29, Win
Without War and other national coalitions are calling for a unified day of
local actions to protest military intervention in Iraq.

As this nation edges ever closer to armed conflict, let us fast, pray for
peace, and search for alternatives to war. I urge people of faith to pray
for President Bush, for all our nations leaders, and for our military
personnel, their families and friends. Let us pray for the suffering people
of Iraq and all others in the region and around the world who may be
affected by war. And, believing that no one stands outside of prayer, let us
pray also for Iraqs leaders, including its president, Saddam Hussein.

Together, on January 27, let our hearts, our minds and our prayers be as
one, witnessing to the ways of peace; witnessing to the fact that war is not
the answer. Together, on January 27, let all people of faith join in a
national day of prayer and fasting as we seek peace in our day.

The Rev. Bob Edgar, General Secretary, National Council of Churches