From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church's finance agency hires associate general counsel

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:36:44 -0600

Jan. 24, 2003	   News media contact: Joretta Purdue7(202)
546-87227Washington	10-71B{033}

By United Methodist News Service

Jim Allen of Columbia, S.C., has accepted the position of associate general
counsel at the United Methodist Church's finance and administration agency.

He will begin his duties with the General Council on Finance and
Administration in early February. The agency is based in Evanston, Ill.

Allen will be filling one of two positions for associate general counsel that
will become vacant in February. Dave Ullrich is leaving the agency to work
for his own denomination, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, as
associate general counsel in Chicago. In addition, Michele Thorne has
resigned to work part-time with her husband in his law practice and to have
more time with her child.

An active member of his local United Methodist church, Allen has served the
denomination as chancellor of the South Carolina Annual Conference since
1995, as a delegate to the 2000 General Conference and Southeastern
Jurisdictional Conference, and as a member of the Fair Process Task Force.

He has provided leadership at the legal forums held for conference
chancellors by the general council's Legal Department. He also has conducted
training for laity, clergy, conference and local church officers, and
seminarians on various topics.	He has served as assistant counsel in church
trials for five annual conferences.

"We are pleased to have Jim as a colleague on the Legal Department staff,"
stated Irene Howard, general counsel. "His strong legal background and
experience in the United Methodist Church are extraordinary assets,
especially as we seek to increase our direct support to annual conference
chancellors. I look forward to his contributions to our work on behalf of the
denomination."

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: