From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS - Lutherans take part in D.C. 'March for Life'

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:24:15 -0800

The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
Board for Communication Services

LCMSNews -- No. 6
January 30, 2003

Lutherans take part in D.C. 'March for Life'

By Paula Schlueter Ross

Missouri Synod Lutherans were among tens of thousands of pro-life advocates
who took part in the "March for Life" Jan. 22 in Washington, D.C.

This year's march marked the 30th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme
Court decision that legalized abortion -- for any reason -- during all nine
months of pregnancy.

Some 30 people from several states marched as part of a Lutherans For Life
(LFL) delegation, according to Dennis Di Mauro, president of LFL's Northern
Virginia chapter.  Many of the Lutheran marchers had met that morning for
worship at Our Savior Lutheran Church in nearby Arlington, Va., and took
the subway to the Washington Monument, where the march began.

"Our marchers joined about 100,000 others and battled 20-degree weather and
high winds, which actually snapped a pole on our Lutherans For Life
banner," Di Mauro said.

Marchers were "encouraged," he said, by a broadcast telephone message from
President Bush, who was in St. Louis.  Bush noted that the gathering was
near the memorial to Thomas Jefferson, author of the Declaration of
Independence.

"The March for Life upholds the self-evident truth of that Declaration --
that all are created equal, given the unalienable rights of life, and
liberty and the pursuit of happiness," Bush said.  "And that principle of
America needs defenders in every place and every generation."

Bush promised to sign a bill banning partial-birth abortion if the measure
is passed by Congress this year, and said he shares the commitment of
marchers to build a "culture of life in America," and added, "we're making
progress."

LFL Executive Director James I. Lamb, who took part in the march for the
sixth time, said it is "worthwhile in that it shows we are not alone in
this fight for life and that the pro-life movement is not going to go away."

More meaningful to him, though, was the Lutheran worship service prior to
the march, he said, where 65 people "gathered to hear God's Word of Life,
to commune together, and to pray together."

While LFL wants to see abortion laws changed, "our focus is to change
hearts," Lamb said.  "While we believe abortion should be illegal, our
focus is to make it unthinkable.  The only thing that can bring about such
change in the hearts of people is God's Spirit working through His Word.

"So we march and we encourage others to march, to vote pro-life, and to be
good Christian citizens," he said.  "But we spend much more time, energy
and money producing Word-based materials for congregations to use to
educate and equip their people."

Lamb said that, sadly, the significance of the 30th anniversary of Roe v.
Wade this year is that it "signals 30 years of relative silence from the
Body of Christ on the greatest atrocity against human life -- and therefore
against the Author of Life -- of our time."

LCMSNews is published by the News and Information Division, Board for
Communication Services, of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.  Please
note that subscribers to LCMSNews will not be able to reach anyone by
hitting the "Reply" button when viewing an LCMSNews release. Such replies
will be deleted. However, if you have questions or comments about this
LCMSNews release, contact Joe Isenhower Jr. via e-mail at
joe.isenhower@lcms.org, or by phone at (314) 996-1231.

To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change your e-mail address for LCMSNews,
go to the following Web address: