From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3285 Old Catholic Bishop celebrates first communion in

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 23:23:24 -0000

ACNS 3285     |     EUROPE     |     31 JANUARY 2003

Old Catholic Bishop celebrates first communion in Church of England

[Church of England's Diocese in Europe] The Old Catholic Bishop of
Switzerland, the Rt Revd Fritz-Reni Muller, last weekend celebrated an
Anglican Communion service, in English, at a Church of England altar. He
also addressed the Anglican Swiss Archdeaconry Synod. It was the first time
this had happened in Switzerland, although con-celebrations have been held
in other countries.

In a brief address to the Synod, Bishop Fritz-Reni recalled that Anglicans
and Old Catholics "have been close friends for over 70 years. But I think we
can do more in the future," he added.

"Let us get a closer church life. Your church in Switzerland and ours are
small. We need each other. To be small, and not to have many members, can be
hard. But if we handle it carefully, small can be beautiful."

The synod and service were held at Holy Trinity Church in Geneva at the end
of the week of prayer for Christian unity. The Swiss Archdeaconry of the
Church of Englands Diocese in Europe incorporates about 25 chaplaincies or
congregations (churches without their own chaplain). The Old Catholic Church
in Switzerland is of similar size.

Bishop Fritz-Reni is new to his post, and Bishop Geoffrey Rowell, Anglican
Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe, shared in his consecration last year. Also
present representing the Old Catholics was Fr Klaus Heinrich Neuhoff. The
visit reciprocated that of three Anglican chaplains in Switzerland who had
previously attended the Old Catholic clergy chapter.