From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3290 Alpha takes to the screen

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:03:18 -0000

ACNS 3290     |     EUROPE     |     5 FEBRUARY 2003

Alpha takes to the screen

[God TV] The internationally acclaimed Alpha Course will be screened on Sky
Digital at 20:30 on Friday evenings from 7 February 2003. According to
statistics compiled by the Christian Research Organisation, more than 1.3
million people in the UK have already completed the Alpha Course. Now
satellite TV viewers will be able to watch it on the GOD Channel (Sky 671).

The Alpha TV series, which will run for 15 weeks, follows the same topics as
those discussed in the 24,000 Alpha groups running world-wide, helping
viewers to explore the meaning of life. The screening of the complete Alpha
Course follows the success of an ITV 10-part documentary hosted by Sir David
Frost, who described it as "a phenomenon - an extraordinary story."

Presented by the Revd Nicky Gumbel, the Alpha series on the GOD Channel
kicks off with "Christianity: Boring, Untrue and Irrelevant?" and includes
such questions as "How can I make the most of the rest of my life?"

"We have heard so many wonderful stories of people whose lives have been
changed through Alpha in churches of all denominations," he said. "I'm
delighted the Course is to be broadcast on the GOD Channel. It is a
partnership which I believe will give many more people the opportunity to
explore the meaning of life."

Alpha is aimed at people who don't go to church, offering a practical
introduction to the Christian faith. It has swept Europe, Africa and the USA
and is now in 130 countries around the world.

For more information about Alpha visit: www.alphacourse.org

For more information about the GOD Channel visit: www.god.tv