From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bishops' president calls for restraint, prayers for peace

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:17:25 -0600

Feb. 6, 2003	    News media contact: Joretta Purdue7(202)
546-87227Washington	10-21-71BPI{063}

NOTE: Both letters released by Bishop Sharon A. Brown Christopher are
reproduced in their entirety at the end of this story. A photograph of the
bishop is available at http://umns.umc.org/photos/headshots.html.

By United Methodist News Service

The president of the international United Methodist Council of Bishops has
written to U.S. President George W. Bush, asking him to seek peace,
especially in regard to Iraq.

Bishop Sharon A. Brown Christopher released two letters Feb. 6, one addressed
to Bush, who is also a United Methodist, and the other to 9.8 million United
Methodists around the world, encouraging them to join in prayer.

"The Gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of peace," Christopher wrote to
President Bush. "It calls us to transcend political ideology and national
interests to act on behalf of the welfare of the whole human family."

She commended him for his "careful work within the processes of the United
Nations" and urged him "to stay the course, seeking every opportunity to
disarm Iraq without resorting to war and looking for every peaceful way of
protecting the world and our nation against the tyranny manifest around the
globe."

Saddam Hussein's tyranny has been demonstrated, Christopher said. "He must be
held accountable."

At the same time, Christopher asks the president to consider the potential
suffering and loss of life among the military personnel and the men, women
and children of Iraq.

"I beseech you to listen to the voice of hundreds of thousands of Americans
and citizens of other countries who demonstrate for peace and ask your utmost
restraint," she said.

Her letter to United Methodists throughout the world explains that the
Council of Bishops feels called by faith in the Prince of Peace and by the
denomination's highest legislative body to "speak to the church and from the
church to the world."

"The Council of Bishops urges you to join us in prayer," she wrote.
"World-shaping and life-shaping decisions will be made in the coming days and
weeks that require God's guidance."

# # #

Both of Bishop Christopher's letters follow:

February 6, 2003

President George W. Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear President Bush,

As the president of the Council of Bishops of The United Methodist Church
and, therefore, one of your pastors, I write to you, a fellow United
Methodist, because of the awesome burden that rests on your shoulders in
these days. The human community stands at an intersection of decision that
will shape its common life and international relations for years to come. In
your hands rests in large part the path we will follow. The Gospel of Jesus
Christ is a Gospel of peace. It calls us to transcend political ideology and
national interests to act on behalf of the welfare of the whole human family.

President Saddam Hussein has the world on edge. The lack of forthcoming
evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and President Hussein's
resistance to complete cooperation with the inspectors of the United Nations,
as indicated by the inspectors' report last week and Secretary of State Colin
Powell's address yesterday, raise suspicion of the highest order. President
Hussein's tyranny has been demonstrated. He must be held accountable.

Military personnel now stand on the front line, willing to give their lives.
They personally bear the cost of the decision of war. I thank you, Mr.
President, for your words of care for the Armed Forces. I beseech you to
listen to the voice of hundreds of thousands of Americans and citizens of
other countries who demonstrate for peace and ask your utmost restraint.

President Bush, I commend you for your careful work within the processes of
the United Nations. I compliment you for presenting the U.N. Security Council
with additional U.S. intelligence about Iraq's weapons program. I urge you to
stay the course, seeking every opportunity to disarm Iraq without resorting
to war and looking for every peaceful way of protecting the world and our
nation against the tyranny manifest around the globe.

The United Methodist Council of Bishops, made up of voices from Europe,
Africa, the Philippines, and the United States, has heard the voices of the
men, women, and children of Iraq who suffer daily from the effects of U.N.
sanctions. Their present misery will fade against the innocent bloodshed to
come in the event of war.

We pray that every possible means to prevent war will be pursued in the
coming days. This is not a moment for haste but rather for deep
thoughtfulness and prayer. It is a moment to reflect upon the well-spoken
concerns of our allies around the world. The welfare of our human family
depends on it.

The Council of Bishops holds you before God in prayer in this time of
decision.

In the name of the Prince of Peace,

Sharon A. Brown Christopher

cc: The people called United Methodist
The United States Congress

Dear United Methodists around the world,

Once again the Council of Bishops in prayer has been called to speak a Gospel
word. This time it is spoken directly to the president of the United States,
President George W. Bush. We do so again out of the mandates of the Gospel of
Jesus Christ and the General Conference of The United Methodist Church to
"speak to the church and from the church to the world."

We commend President Bush for his decision to work within the processes of
the United Nations. He has done what we asked of him in October, 2002. Now,
for the well-being of the innocent citizens of Iraq and the faithful U.S.
military personnel and their families, we urge him to continue to work with
the United Nations and to seek out every possible peaceful means to deter the
tyranny of Saddam Hussein. The attached letter speaks for itself.

The Council of Bishops urges you to join us in prayer. World-shaping and
life-shaping decisions will be made in the coming days and weeks that require
God's guidance.

In the name of the Prince of Peace,

Sharon A. Brown Christopher

United Methodist News Service