From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3296 Australia's involvement with the threat of war with

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Thu, 6 Feb 2003 22:14:46 -0000

ACNS 3296     |     AUSTRALIA	  |	7 FEBRUARY 2003

Australia's involvement with the threat of war with Iraq

Joint Statement by Bishop George Browning (Anglican), The Revd Dr Thorwald
Lorenzen (Baptist), Archbishop Frank Carroll (Catholic), The Revd Wendy
Snook (Uniting) and Pastor Sean Stanton (Pentecostal Churches)

[Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn] As leaders of the Christian community we
write out of great concern for the peace and justice of our world.

We share with all Australians concern about the possibility of war with Iraq
and of the potential for Australian involvement.

We assure the Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition and all political
leaders of our prayers in a time when decisions will weigh heavily on hearts
and consciences.

We are dismayed by the callous disregard shown by the leader of Iraq for his
own people, their welfare and security and for the peace and security of the
world. We recognise the responsibility of the world community to respond to
the threat this imposes both to the people of Iraq, as well as the people of
the world.

However, we also reaffirm the following:

- We believe that war is always the worst possible option

- We do not believe that all diplomatic avenues to avoid war have been
explored

- We do not believe that Australia can or should be involved in any overseas
conflict without the express permission and direction of the international
community through the United Nations. To do so undermines the authority of
the United Nations and consequently makes it even more difficult to solve
similar problems in the future

- We believe that involvement in this war may not be in Australia's interest
and could have detrimental effects on our relationships with our near
neighbours in Asia

- We greatly fear the consequences of war for innocent civilians in Iraq and
for the stability of the region

- Finally we simply do not understand. We assume there must be a reason that
has not yet been revealed. We believe Australians and the world community
must have this reason made plain

Again, this statement comes with genuine assurance of prayers both for our
leaders and for Australian troops.