From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3299 Columbia astronaut was Episcopalian

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:50:30 -0000

ACNS 3299     |     USA     |	  7 FEBRUARY 2003

Columbia astronaut was Episcopalian

[Beliefnet] "If I'd been born in space I would desire to visit the beautiful
Earth more than I ever yearned to visit space. It's a wonderful planet,"
wrote Capt David Brown to his parents in the last e-mail they'd receive from
him.

Capt Brown was close to his parents, visiting their Virginia home often -
once to deliver a computer so they could receive his emails from space.
Raised Episcopalian, he was an acolyte at his Arlington, Virginia parish.
His father is now an active member of Trinity Episcopal Church in
Washington, Virginia. At the request of his father, Capt Brown spoke to the
church's Brotherhood of St Andrew - a men's fellowship group - during one of
his visits. "He made a wonderful presentation," recalls Trinity's rector,
the Revd Jennings Hobson. "I saw a truly happy, passionate, caring person."

Episcopal churches across the nation are mourning the loss of the shuttle
crew; in Texas, several Episcopal churches are directly in the pathway of
the debris. Many NASA employees and their families are parishioners at St
Thomas the Apostle in Nassau Bay, Texas, where a Saturday night prayer vigil
was held.

In Lufkin, Texas, the rector of St Cyprian's included a dedicated Eucharist
for the astronauts and their families in his Sunday service. The Collect for
Burial was read from the Book of Common Prayer, and in many churches, the
names of the astronauts were included in the Prayers of the People.

[A photograph to accompany this article is available from
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/.]