From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Columbia crew's faith, courage remembered at National Cathedral

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:37:56 -0500

February 7, 2003

2003-027

Episcopalians: Columbia crew's faith, courage remembered at
National Cathedral

by Dwight Zscheile

(ENS) Vice President Dick Cheney, NASA Administrator Sean
O'Keefe, Bishop John Chane, a local Episcopal priest and a rabbi
were among those who paid solemn tribute to the crew of the
Space Shuttle Columbia at a memorial service on February 6 at
Washington National Cathedral.

Speaking to an audience of nearly 1,500 grieving family members,
NASA colleagues, members of Congress, dignitaries and the
general public, Cheney saluted the courage of the Columbia 7:
"Every great act of exploration involves great risk. The crew of
the Columbia accepted that risk in service to all mankind."
Cheney reiterated the nation's commitment to space exploration,
pledging that "their greatest memorial will be a vibrant space
program and new missions."

NASA chief Sean O'Keefe praised astronauts Rick Husband, William
McCool, Michael Anderson, Kalpana Chawla, David Brown, Laurel
Clark and Ilan Ramon as examples of "the best of the human
spirit." While vowing to continue and strengthen NASA's shuttle
program, he also acknowledged the limits of our scientific and
technological endeavors. "Our hope is not ultimately a hope
grounded in the progress of human achievements," said O'Keefe.
"It is grounded in the sure and certain faith in a Creator who
calls Rick, Willie, Michael, Kalpana, David, Laurel, Ilan -- and
each of us -- by name."

Astronaut Col. Robert Cabana, USMC (Ret) sketched colorful
personal anecdotes of each of the seven crew members, recalling
a moment shortly before the crew boarded Columbia for takeoff in
which this diverse group of men and women from different faiths
and countries huddled, arms linked, in joint prayer.

Other participants included Brigadier General Charles Baldwin,
deputy chief of chaplains, USAF, who delivered the homily, and
Rabbi Warren Stone, president of the Washington Board of Rabbis,
who read from the Book of Isaiah and offered prayers in Hebrew
and English.

Courage, commitment, curiosity

The Rev. Stephen McWhorter, vicar of St. David's Episcopal
Church in Ashburn, Virginia, read from 2 Corinthians and prayed
in thanksgiving "for the courage, commitment and curiosity that
led them to reach beyond our world toward the stars." McWhorter,
founding pastor of one of the nation's fastest-growing Episcopal
congregations, spoke of the sacrifice that accompanies love,
calling Jesus God's "ultimate gift of love to us, but it is a
gift not without cost."

The Rt. Rev. John Chane, bishop of Washington, began his
blessing with a quotation from the Book of Common Prayer: "O
creator God, at your command all things came to be; the vast
expanse of interstellar space, galaxies, suns, moons, the
planets in their courses and this fragile earth our island
home." Chane went on to pray, "yet even in our sorrow, bless and
strengthen our resolve to fly tomorrow even higher than the
wings of an eagle have taken us today."

Patti LaBelle offered a heartfelt performance of "Way Up There,"
a song commissioned by NASA last year. She was joined by the
U.S. Navy Band and the Air Force Singing Sergeants.

Attending the service were such luminaries as former astronaut
and U.S. senator John Glenn, as well as hundreds of NASA
employees, many of whom sat weeping quietly for their lost
colleagues.

Across the front of the Cathedral were lined the flags of the
United States, Israel and NASA. Near the conclusion of the
service, the haunting notes of "Taps" reverberated through the
limestone expanse from a lone bugler standing near the high
altar.

------

--Dwight Zscheile is a member of Episcopal Communicators and
executive pastor of St. David's Episcopal Church in Ashburn,
Virginia.