From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org
Iraq Crisis - U.S. Ecumenical Leaders Go to Paris for Meetings
"Nat'l Council of Churches" <email@example.com>
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:54:37 -0500
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
February 9, 2003
FOR NEWS PLANNING/IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
IRAQ CRISIS: U.S. ECUMENICAL LEADERS GO TO PARIS FOR MEETNGS
WHAT/WHY: February 10-11, 2003, in Paris, a delegation from the National
Council of Churches (U.S.A.) will be hosted by the French Protestant
Federation for the second of a series of five urgent meetings with religious
and government leaders to consider a cooperative response to avert military
action against Iraq.
Their schedule includes a 10 a.m. meeting on February 11 with Frances
foreign minister, with a news conference to follow at 11 a.m., 47 rue de
Clichy, Siege de la Federation des Eglises Protestantes de la France.
The NCC is organizing the visits to five European capitals as part of the
U.S. ecumenical bodys search for peaceful solutions to the Iraq crisis.
Upcoming visits include London (Feb. 17-19), Rome (Feb. 25-28) and Moscow or
On February 5, an NCC delegation met in Berlin with counterparts from across
Europe and with German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder
(www.ncccusa.org/news/03news7.html). U.S. church leaders also are seeking a
meeting with President Bush (www.ncccusa.org/news/03news4.html).
NCC DELEGATION TO PARIS:
* The Rev. Daniel E. Weiss, Marco Island, Fla.; Immediate Past General
Secretary, American Baptist Churches in the U.S.A.
* Rev. Michael Livingston, Trenton, N.J.; Executive Director, International
Council of Community Churches
* Thomas H. Jeavons, Wallingford, Pa.; General Secretary, Philadelphia
Yearly Meeting, Religious Society of Friends (Quaker)
* Father Stanley DeBoe, Silver Spring, Md.; Trinitarian Fathers and
Co-Chair, Churches for Middle East Peace.
* Mr. John Briscoe, New York, N.Y.; Associate General Secretary, National
Council of Churches (U.S.A.)
The group will be joined in Paris by Rudiger Noll, Associate General
Secretary of the Conference of European Churches. Mr. Noll is based in
* New York -- Carol Fouke, Media Liaison, Tel: (1 212) 870-2252/2227;
* Paris Host - Jean Arnold de Clermont, French Protestant Federation; Tel.
(011) (33)-1-44-53-47-02; Mobile: (011) (33) 6-80-03-32-21; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assistant: Marie Christine Peri.
* NCC Delegation, Paris - c/o John Briscoe: Night of February 10: (011) (33)
(1) 48-74-74-99; Night of February 11: (011) (33) (1) 48-17-56-56
Browse month . . .
Browse month (sort by Source) . . .
Advanced Search & Browse . . .