From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwanese Youth Turns Gov't Job Into Gospel & Social

From Taiwan Church News <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:31:43 +0800

Service Work

Taiwan Church News 2659, February 16, 2003
Reported by Lin Yi-ying. Translated and rewritten by David
Alexander

   Lien Chia-un, a member of Glory Star Presbyterian Church in
Taipei, was selected to perform "alternative service" instead of
military duties following his graduation from college.	The
government sent him as a medical assistant to Burkina Faso, in
Central Africa.  While there he instituted a "Garbage for
Clothing" exchange program.
   He recently returned home for the New Year holidays. On
February 9th he spoke at Shuang Lien Presbyt4erian Church in
Taipei, describing his experience and urging others to continue
and complete what he had begun.  He said, "The year and a half
that I spent in this work seems like a short time."
   The Rev. Hwang Hsian-kwang, pastor of Glory Star, spoke from
Psalm 20, verse 7 "Some boast of chariots, and some of horses,
but we boast of the name of the Lord our God." He emphasized that
the work done in Africa was not to the glory of an individual or
of a congregation, but to the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Under divine inspiration the clothing for the exchange program
had been provided by many churches in Taiwan.
   Mr. Lien will return to Africa to finish out his term until
June. He says that he hopes to continue there for another year,
continuing the gospel work he has begun.  His experience has
taught him that there are many people in Taiwan who will be his
co-workers in service for the sake of the gospel.

For more information:  Glory Star Presbyterian Church
<glory.star@msa.hinet.net>

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local
languages.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw