From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3309 Church Leaders pray for peace

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:50:45 -0000

ACNS 3309     |     ENGLAND	|     17 FEBRUARY 2003

Church Leaders pray for peace

by Matthew Davies

Two days after an estimated 5 million people demonstrated worldwide in an
attempt to avert the war with Iraq, an ecumenical delegation arrived in
London to attend a service of praise, penitence and prayer for peace. The
service took place this evening at St John's Church, Waterloo Road.

Both of the speakers from Washington DC, the Revd Jim Wallis and Bishop John
Chane, were unable to attend due to snowstorms in the US capital. A letter
from Fr Wallis was read to the congregation conveying the message that
American church leaders have come to Britain this week on a mission of
peace.

"We've come so that we might join together with you, our brothers and
sisters in the British churches, who have been so very clear and strong in
opposing the rush to war," he said. "We want the British people to know that
the leaders of the American churches do not support a war with Iraq. In
fact, never before in our history have the American churches been so united
for peace."

Bishop Melvin Talbot, Ecumenical Officer for the Council of United Methodist
Bishops, spoke about a recent visit to Iraq where he was amongst 20
religious representatives of different denominations. "The main purpose of
the visit was to talk to and understand people and put a human face on the
people in Iraq," he said. "And what we experienced was brothers and
sisters - human beings like you and me - wanting peace."

The Revd Clifton Kirkpatrick, Stated Clerk of the Presbyterian Church, USA,
also addressed the congregation about the need for Churches in the United
States and the UK to unite. "We are here today to affirm a special
relationship with churches in the UK and US for the cause of peace and the
cause of justice."

Amongst the other representatives were the Most Revd Njongonkulu Ndungane,
Archbishop of Cape Town, and the Most Revd Clive Handford, President Bishop
in Cyprus and the Gulf, who led the prayers.

The delegation will lobby Prime Minister, Tony Blair, tomorrow afternoon
conveying a widespread opposition to war with Iraq.

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

*** Latest details concerning the Enthronement of the Most Revd Rowan
Williams
*** as the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury are available from:
*** http://www.anglicancommunion.org/archbishops/104/

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org.

You can subscribe/unsubscribe and get help online at: