From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3318 Mission leaders pray for peaceful, just resolution to

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:07:56 -0000

ACNS 3318     |     CYPRUS     |     20 FEBRUARY 2003

Mission leaders pray for peaceful, just resolution to Iraq standoff

The looming prospect of a US led war against Iraq was much on the minds and
hearts of Anglican mission leaders attending the "Transformation and
Tradition in Global Mission" conference in Larnaca, Cyprus, 12-18 February.
Although it was not on the agenda, the subject was discussed with real worry
and some participants decided to draft a statement for the group to
consider.

Most of the participants - though not all - subsequently signed on to the
statement. The sheets of newsprint filling up with signatures from every
continent - bishops, clergy, and lay people united in their passion for
mission - presented a moving site in the conference room on the last day.
While participants recognised that the conference has no official standing
(compared with the Communion's recognised instruments of unity), they felt
they could not in good conscience keep silent, said Ms Bobbie Moore of the
Church of Ireland.

The text follows:

We believe that God has a love and concern for all peoples in all nations.

God is actively working for justice, peace, and the wholeness of all people
everywhere.

Our commitment to share in this love and activity of God (which we call the
Mission of God) has brought us together from more than 40 nations.

We are aware that by meeting in Cyprus we are not only in the Anglican
diocese which includes Iraq, we are also in a nation which has recently
experienced bitter conflicts and where the international community is
attempting to achieve a peaceful resolution through the work of the UN.

We encourage the international community to support the UN in their efforts
to find a peaceful and just resolution to the current situation in Iraq.

We support the calls for peace made by Anglican and other leaders within the
Christian Church and in the world.

We have been praying for the leaders and people on every side of this
conflict, as have Christians throughout the world.

We encourage the church to continue to pray in the confidence that God's
passionate desire is for reconciliation, justice and peace.

For details about the 27th February broadcast, webcast and video
of the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury, the
Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit these web sites:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/canterbury/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: