From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3324 Legislation and Politics Committee - Northern Ireland

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:24:52 -0000

ACNS 3324     |     IRELAND	|     25 FEBRUARY 2003

Legislation and Politics Committee - Northern Ireland

[Church of Ireland Press Office] The new 13-member Legislation & Politics
Committee (NI) commenced its work in January 2003. Its task is to monitor
and assess Northern Ireland legislative and political matters as they affect
the people of Northern Ireland and their sense of a just, fair and inclusive
community. Also to propose and pursue imaginative ways forward as our
community struggles to emerge from our troubled heritage of division and
violent conflict. It will also examine the possible impact of existing and
proposed legislation on the Church, and will seek to be pro-active where and
when appropriate.

The immediate task before the Committee is to respond to the Northern
Ireland political situation following the suspension of the Stormont
Assembly and Executive. In this regard, we are actively pursuing dialogue
through meetings with the Northern Ireland political parties - Ulster
Unionist, SDLP, Sinn Fein, Democratic Unionist, Alliance, Women's Coalition,
Progressive Unionist, UKUP, etc: also with the Northern Ireland Office and
the Government of the Republic of Ireland.

We are in discussion with certain statutory and other bodies - the Northern
Ireland Policing Board, the Parades Commission, the Human Rights Commission,
the Equality Commission, the Commission on Decommissioning, the Community
Relations Council, and the Loyalist Commission.

We are fully committed to making a positive contribution to finding a way
forward for the establishment of inclusive democratic and accountable
government in Northern Ireland and to promoting peace and harmony between
all sections of our community. From our understanding of Jesus' proclamation
of the reign of God, we seek a fair, just, inclusive and peaceful society
for everyone.

Canon Walter Lewis, the Chairman of the Committee, comments, "Within our
Committee there is a wide range of opinion on legislation and politics. We
each speak the truth to one another. And we speak the truth plainly to all
whom we meet. We expect no less from them. Truth is the sure foundation of a
way forward in Northern Ireland. Our legislative and political institutions
must be built on transparency and truth. We seek to serve God, and his
coming Kingdom of truth, justice, goodness and peace."

For details about the 27th February broadcast, webcast and video
of the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury, the
Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit these web sites:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/canterbury/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: