From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Vatican official greets new archbishop of Canterbury as a 'builder of bridges'

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:20:31 -0500

March 3, 2003

2003-046

Episcopalians: Vatican official greets new archbishop of
Canterbury as a 'builder of bridges'

by James Solheim

(ENS) At a banquet following the February 27 enthronement of
Rowan Williams as the 104th archbishop of Canterbury, Cardinal
Walter Kasper, president of the Vatican's Council for Promoting
Christian Unity, described the ecumenical task in terms of
building bridges.

On his historic visit to Rome in March of 1966, Pope Paul VI
told Archbishop of Canterbury Michael Ramsey that he was
"rebuilding a bridge which for centuries had lain fallen between
the Church of Rome and the Church of Canterbury--a bridge of
respect, of esteem and of charity."

The pope characterized that bridge as yet unstable and "still
under construction," Kasper said. "In the intervening years it
has grown much more stable. While it is still very much under
construction, it has carried me here today without a wobble," he
added.

A bridge is a much better metaphor for the relationship between
Rome and Canterbury, Kasper argued. While the Chunnel under the
English Channel may be convenient, "I don't know what a
spiritual chunnel would look like and besides, we don't want to
meet in the dark; it's better to keep building bridges, in the
light."

Addressing Williams and his "forthcoming ministry," Kasper said
that he saw three types of bridge-building in the future--the
bridge across the separation of the ages which links us to our
ancient common traditions and gives us our bearings; the bridges
of unity, within the Anglican Communion and with ecumenical
partners; and bridges between the Christian faith and
present-day cultures, "our contemporary world with its joys and
hopes, its grief and anguish."

Kasper said that for Roman Catholics the "common traditions
include not only the Scriptures and foundational doctrines of
the first Councils, but shared spiritual and liturgical
traditions, the monastic life, the role of the bishop as a
guardian of unity and much more. Together with our ecumenical
partners, we know that this ancient heritage is not something
that belongs in your British Museum. It is not dry bones but
something ever enlivened by the Holy Spirit."

"The Christian churches," he added, "have been walking the road
of dialogue, and must continue on this road. But a bridge in
constant need of attention is the one which takes us from
dialogue to common mission and back. Our world would greatly
benefit from our common witness and joint mission on many
fronts."

The cardinal welcomed the gifts of the new archbishop of
Canterbury in addressing cultural issues. "You are a theologian
with keen perception in reading the signs of the times; a
scholar with an ear bent to the ground; a poet, with a deep
sensitivity to language. All of these talents will be well put
to use, for the task at hand is not simply to build bridges but,
by the grace of God, to become a bridge, so that talk about God,
about a boundless mercy, about the crucified and risen Lord, and
the hope and treasure we carry within us, spans the distance
between the Gospels and the farthest reaches of our contemporary
world."

------

(Text of the cardinal's address is available on the Web site of
the Anglican Communion News Service.)

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.