From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Enthronement in Canterbury is banquet of culture, history and hope

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:18:54 -0500

March 3, 2003

2003-047

Episcopalians: Enthronement in Canterbury is banquet of culture,
history and hope

by Nan Cobbey

In an irresistable combination of pomp, pride and humility, the
first Welshman in the last 1,000 years assumed leadership of the
Anglican Communion on February 27 at historic Canterbury
Cathedral.

>From the 900-person processions into the 12th Century cathedral
to the simple blessing delivered before the chair of St.
Augustine...from the oath sworn on the hand-lettered Canterbury
Gospels to the haunting lilt of a Welsh Penillion...from the
profession of the ancient Creed of Nicaea to the modern--and
borrowed--"Prayer of Commitment," the Church of England's
two-hour celebration to present Rowan Douglas Williams to the
world as 104th archbishop of Canterbury spread a banquet of
culture, history and hope.

>From the moment the bespectacled, bearded 52-year-old primate,
who calls himself  "a hairy leftie,"  rapped three times on the
great West Door of the Perpendicular Gothic mother church of
Anglicanism, to the end of the historic service when he greeted
the Prince of Wales at the same door, Rowan Williams drew all
eyes to himself.

His dazzling, daffodil-yellow vestments, caught by sunlight and
the BBC's high-powered lights, probably had something to do with
that but the outspoken passion and spirituality of the man who
recently has been boldly challenging both church and state
deserves most of the credit.

Present for this tightly scripted ceremony in the southeast
corner of the United Kingdom were Prince Charles and Prime
Minister Tony Blair, the nation's home secretary (interior
minister), the leader of the Conservative Party, the Roman
Catholic cardinal, top level representatives of every other
major faith in Britain--Jews, Sikhs, Muslims, Buddhists, Jains,
Baha'is and Zoroastrians; patriarchs of the Eastern Church from
Antioch, Moscow, Bulgaria, Serbia and Romania and clergy and
bishops from across the 70-million-member Anglican Communion
spread throughout 164 nations around the world.

Tight security

Blocked beyond the cathedral gates by barricades and guards were
a dozen dour-faced protesters displeased with the liberal
archbishop and his views on homosexuality. Another group, a
mildly noisy gathering of several hundred anti-war
demonstrators, came to hector Blair.

Neither group could dampen spirits on this festive, formal
occasion, however. Tight security, scores of police and
carefully controlled, color-coded tickets gave organizers
confidence. The cobbled lanes and grounds around the cathedral
had been closed to the public the day before as police set up
screening tents and X-ray equipment to monitor arriving guests.

BBC crews erected scaffolding, positioned cameras and lights.
Technicians laid six miles of cable. Volunteer flower arrangers
created 10-foot cascades of bright yellow blooms. Oriental
lilies, mimosa, chrysanthemums, forsythia and foxtail lilies
tumbled down pillars and decorated pulpits. Over 500 daffodils,
each stem in an individual tube of water, were carefully
positioned through the arrangements.

By 2 o'clock on the big afternoon, nearly 1,500 people had found
their assigned seats within the 514-foot cathedral. The
processions began as scheduled at 2:10 precisely, entering from
a number of doorways. Eleven vergers and 10 marshals led the
various dignitaries,  politicians, primates, bishops, clergy,
university faculties, ecumenical representatives, Eastern
Patriarchs, interfaith guests, wives of priests and primates and
choirs to their appointed places. The spiral-bound "Ceremonial
and Rubrics to Order Service" ran 87 pages.

A Victorian celebration

The traditional enthronement service dates largely from the
Victorian era. This particular service held several breathtaking
moments. The first came when the new archbishop took his oath on
the "Canterbury Gospels."  The ancient book--hand-printed,
hand-bound, hand-illuminated by Roman monks in the fifth or
sixth century--was originally a gift of Pope Gregory to St.
Augustine. It arrived in Canterbury with him in 597 when he came
to evangelize the peoples of the Isle.

Preserved today, as it has been since the dissolution of St.
Augustine's Monastery, by Corpus Christi College of Cambridge
University, the book arrived at the cathedral the morning of the
ceremony with an armed guard. It is believed to be the oldest
document in England and is worth 50 million pounds ($85
million).

The book was opened in front of the archbishop before the Nave
Altar. Laying his hand on it, he promised to "inviolably observe
the ancient and approved customs" of the cathedral and "give
help and assistance in defending the rights, statutes and
liberties of this church." As he finished his oath, Williams
leaned forward and kissed the open pages of the ancient gospels.

Smiles and greetings

The moment the archbishop was "enthroned" in the wide stone
chair of St. Augustine was another stunning moment. Actually it
was the second enthronement, coming just after he'd been seated
in the Quire Throne and presented with a pastoral staff, symbol
of his role as shepherd of the Diocese of Canterbury.

The dean of the cathedral led him to St. Augustine's chair and
by seating him, made him symbolically head of all the Anglican
Communion. One moment later, Robin Eames, archbishop of Armagh
and senior primate of the Communion, pronounced a blessing over
the bowed, un-mitred head of the brightly robed archbishop.
Immediately, Williams stood and smiled.

"Let us greet our newly enthroned archbishop," said the dean to
the gathered congregation of 2,400, many of them sitting beyond
the view-blocking pulpitum screen and watching on television
monitors. The archbishop, a smile creeping further across his
face, spread wide his hands in a gesture of openness. The
already standing crowd burst into applause and continued
applauding long past any comfortable interval for the man who
frequently waves to a stop all such recognition.

When quiet was restored, the bare-headed archbishop circled the
chamber to be introduced to ecumenical and interfaith guests he
did not already know. Those he did know received his greetings
in a variety of forms. To some he offered a hand shake, to
others a kiss on each cheek, sometimes three. Some he approached
with arms open for an embrace; others he bowed	before, his
fingers tented below his face.

'No one written off'

Then it was the archbishop's turn to address the congregation.
He did so with a sermon especially poignant because it was so
clearly directed at the church family, not the world at large,
nor even the country's leaders, though three of them sat facing
him at the opposite end of the quire. Prime Minister Blair, Home
Secretary David Blunkett, and the future king, Charles, Prince
of Wales, all of them members of the church, heard him say:

"No one can be written off; no group, no nation, no minority can
just be a scapegoat to resolve our fears and uncertainties. We
cannot assume that any human face we see has no divine secret to
disclose: those who are culturally or religiously strange to us;
those who so often don't count in the world's terms (the old,
the unborn, the disabled). And this is what unsettles our
loyalties, conservative and liberal, right wing or left,
national and international. We have to learn to be human
alongside all sorts of others, the ones whose company we don't
greatly like, whom we didn't choose, because Jesus is drawing us
together into his place, his company."

Peering over his metal-framed glasses, Rowan William's words
seemed a challenge, simultaneously warm and demanding: "...the
Christian will engage with passion in the world of our society
and politics--out of a real hunger and thirst to see God's
image, the destiny of human beings to become God's sons and
daughters come to light--and, it must be said, out of a real
grief and fear of what the human future will be if this does not
come to light. The church has to warn and to lament as well as
comfort."

After the Nicene Creed and the sung "Te Deum," the most ancient
parts of the ceremony, Williams asked the congregation to join
him in a prayer of commitment. "I am no longer my own but yours.
Put me to what you will," began the powerful pledge borrowed
from the Methodist Church Covenant Service.

Moments of grace

The moment seemed full of grace. The liturgists--Williams among
them--had provided for many such moments.  Throughout the
service, they wove together themes of Wales and of 17th century
Welsh poet-priest George Herbert. Herbert was also being
celebrated on this February 27, his annual day of recognition.
His poetry had been set to music by a young Scottish composer to
be sung by the congregation at the enthronement. Another of his
poems was performed by the St. Woolos Cathedral Choir from the
Diocese of Monmouth, where Williams served his first episcopate.

A traditional form of Welsh music was performed by the daughters
of two of Williams' friends, a 15-year-old harpist and a 20-year
old soprano. The young women offered a Penillion, improvised
music that is first harped, then sung. The lyric was not
improvised this time, but was Williams' own translation of a
poem by 18th Century Welsh poet Ann Griffiths (Yr Arglwydd Iesu,
 "I Saw Him Standing").  The gentle, clear tones of the harp
hushed the packed cathedral.

Wales was made visible throughout the service by the shining
yellow vestments created for the new archbishop by the region's
craftsmen and women. Fabric for cope, mitre and rochet, woven on
hand looms, took months to create and embroider with golden
Celtic knotwork designs and the cross of Canterbury.

The vestments, worth an estimated $11,000 and paid for by
anonymous donors, will be Williams' to wear throughout his term.
That could be 18 years since he may serve to age 70. When his
reign ends, the golden cope and mitre and the jeweled morse
(clasp) will be returned to Wales and displayed at the National
Museum of Welsh Life in Cardiff.

As the service concluded, Williams gave a series of blessings to
the congregation and then processed the length of the cathedral
to the rousing Welsh hymn Cwm Rhondda, "Guide me, O thou great
Redeemer" and the sound of the cathedral's peal of 14 bells as
they rang out over their heads from its twin towers.

In the afterglow of the enthronement, the British press seemed
to welcome a new national shepherd. The Guardian, for example,
wrote that "the arrival of Dr. Williams at the center of our
national life has caught the interest of the public in a way
that few religious appointments of modern times can equal,"
holding out the possibility that "the church has a more vital
role to play in the search for community and personal peace than
has sometimes been allowed recent. For Christian and
non-Christian alike, the start of Dr. Williams's reign should be
a moment for happiness and great hope."

------

Photos are available at the Web site of the Anglican Communion
News Service

-- Nan Cobbey is features editor of Episcopal Life and covered
the enthronement.