From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Dialogue between Episcopalians and Methodists showing promise

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:57:17 -0500

March 5, 2003

2003-049

Episcopalians: Dialogue between Episcopalians and Methodists
showing promise

by James Solheim

(ENS) The second session of the official dialogue between the
Episcopal Church and the United Methodist Church met February
6-8 at St. Mary Seminary's Center for Continuing Education in
Baltimore, Maryland. The dialogue was established by the 2000
General Convention in response to a 1998 Lambeth Conference
resolution endorsing regional Anglican-Methodist dialogues.

At the Baltimore meeting, participants heard presentations on
the understanding of authority in the Episcopal Church by the
Rev. Ephraim Radner and the Rev. Betty Gamble from the United
Methodist Church. Dr. Thomas Ferguson, associate deputy for the
Office of Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations, presented a paper
on the ecclesiology of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican
Communion, and the Rev. Russell Richey, dean of Candler School
of Theology at Emory University in Atlanta, spoke about the
development of Methodist ecclesiology.

"It's important to see this dialogue as a response to the
Lambeth Quadrilateral, the 1998 Lambeth Conference and the
actions of our General Convention," said Bishop John Lipscomb of
the Diocese of Southwest Florida, the Episcopal co-chair. He
pointed out that "the United Methodist Church represents one of
the largest Protestant denominations with historic connections
to the Church of England. Therefore it seems appropriate that we
pursue dialogue within the family that stemmed from that
tradition."

Lipscomb also pointed to the dialogue between the Church of
England and the British Methodists "where the goal is full
organic union. Here in this country we are seeking a
relationship of full communion--and the Called to Common Mission
agreement with the Lutherans provides us with a framework in
which to work." (See the web site at
http://england.anglican.org/ccu/index.html).

A second major focus of the dialogue was an exploration of
documents produced by the dialogue in the United Kingdom, as
well as the report of the International Anglican-Methodist
dialogue. The 1998 Lambeth Conference commended the report of
the international dialogue, "Sharing in the Apostolic
Communion," to member provinces for study. Participants looked
at other previous agreements and convergences such as the Porvoo
Common Statement between the Nordic Lutherans and the Anglican
Churches of the UK and Ireland, and the landmark WCC document on
Baptism, Eucharist and Ministry.

"After two sessions we are all feeling very positive about our
conversations," said Lipscomb. "Of course we still have hard
work to do, dealing with issues such as the historic episcopate,
but we don't think those issues are insurmountable."

The next meeting of the dialogue will in the summer of 2003. A
planning committee consisting of the two co-chairs, Lipscomb and
Methodist Bishop William Oden, along with staff from the
ecumenical offices of the two churches, will meet in New York in
March of 2003 to prepare a vision statement for the continuing
dialogue.

In addition to Oden, the Methodist team included the Rev. Trey
Hall of Illinois; the Rev. Lucia Guzman of Colorado; the Rev.
Diedre Kriewald of Washington, DC; the Rev. Erica Jenkins of
Louisiana, and the Rev. Bruce Robbins, who served as staff.

Episcopal team members in addition to Lipscomb included the Rev.
David Bird of Washington; the Rev. Lois Boxill of Pennsylvania;
the Rev. Theodora Brooks of New York; the Rev. Bruce Mullin of
New York; Patricia Page of North Carolina; and the Rev. Ephraim
Radner of Colorado.

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.