From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3335 Anglican dioceses across New South Wales unite to

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:55:44 -0000

ACNS 3335     |     AUSTRALIA	  |	7 MARCH 2003

Anglican dioceses across New South Wales unite to fight drought

[Anglican Media Sydney] Anglican dioceses across NSW have united to launch
an emergency appeal to raise funds for areas hit hardest by the ongoing
drought.

The seven dioceses of Sydney: Canberra & Goulburn; Newcastle; Grafton;
Armidale; Bathurst; and Riverina have united in an historical agreement to
bring relief to regional and rural communities crippled by the worst drought
in 20 years.

The appeal will be launched and administered by the Archbishop of Sydney's
Appeals Unit. Funds will be collected from across the state and distributed
according to guidelines established by the seven diocesan representatives.

According to Dr Peter Jensen, Archbishop of Sydney, with 98 per cent of NSW
declared drought affected and 67 per cent identified as being under
exceptional circumstances, this crucial appeal will enable the Anglican
Church to provide relief to parts of the state that have suffered for too
long.

"I have become acutely aware, through contact with my colleagues across the
state, of the enormous suffering and hardship currently gripping so much of
New South Wales," Dr Jensen said.

"I hear stories of whole towns and regional centres without adequate water,
livestock thirsty and starving, local businesses on the verge of financial
ruin, parishes unable to provide adequate ministry and children being pulled
out of school because parents can no longer afford the fuel to transport
their children each day.

"We must no longer allow our fellow Australians to endure this suffering
alone. The Anglican Church is well placed to reach out to these communities
at a grass roots level, especially as many of our regional parishes walk
hand in hand with their community during this difficult time.

"It is for this reason that the seven dioceses of NSW have united to launch
this appeal. With a generous response from the community, we can help
ministry to continue and provide relief that will help many families through
this difficult time until dams are replenished, crops regrown and lives are
rebuilt,' Dr Jensen said.

The drought is predicted to break across NSW by autumn this year. However,
communities are not expected to recover from the impact of the drought for
at least two to three years, highlighting the importance of ongoing support
for regional and rural NSW well after the rains fall.

To support the Archbishop of Sydney's Drought Appeal, please send a donation
to the Archbishop's Drought Appeal, PO Box 1416, Parramatta, NSW 2124,
Australia.

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: