From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3339 Archbishop of Canterbury in Fairtrade Pancake event at

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 00:18:07 -0000

ACNS 3339     |     ENGLAND	|     10 MARCH 2003

Archbishop of Canterbury in Fairtrade Pancake event at Canterbury Cathedral

[St Stephen's Fairtrade Group] Celebrating the launch of Fairtrade Fortnight
2003, Dr Rowan Williams, newly enthroned Archbishop of Canterbury, gave a
strong endorsement of the value of Fairtrade. Speaking at a Fairtrade Event
in the Chapter House of Canterbury Cathedral on Shrove Tuesday, the
Archbishop stated that:

"Fairtrade has mattered to me for a good many years. Consumers can make a
difference. Ordinary people, by making ordinary decisions in a particular
way, can actually change things. This is not just about the principle of
Fairtrade but also about the principle of how we can make a difference. We
need to spread the word."

Harriet Lamb, Director of the Fairtrade Foundation, highlighted the direct
benefits which Fairtrade provides to some of the world's poorest farmers.
"The Church has always been a trendsetter in the area of Fairtrade,"
commented Harriet Lamb. She went on to say "The enthusiastic promotion of
Fairtrade by the Church has contributed to the phenomenal growth in the sale
of Fairtrade products over the last two years."

In the words of Denise Sutherland, a banana producer from the Windward
Islands who was attending the event, "Life as a banana producer is tough and
one challenge follows another. As long as I am selling in Fairtrade, I can
earn enough to support my life."

At today's event, long-time supporter of Fairtrade, TV Chef Michael Barry,
directed a pancake race of local clergy at which both the Archbishop and
Denise Sutherland held the finishing tape beneath a banner of the new
international FAIRTRADE Mark. Among the dozen clergy participating in the
pancake race were the RT Revd Stephen Venner, Bishop of Dover and the
Venerable Patrick Evans, Archdeacon of Canterbury.

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: