From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3340 Statement on Iraq by the Most Revd James Toru Uno,

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:21:10 -0000

ACNS 3340     |     JAPAN     |     11 MARCH 2003

Statement on Iraq by the Most Revd James Toru Uno, Primate of Nippon Sei Ko
Kai (Anglican Communion in Japan), and the Committee for Peace and Justice

The Peace of Christ be always with you

It is a very critical moment now for the entire world in regards to whether
to go to war or maintain peace over the Iraq Issue. I would like to make my
position clear on this matter to my brothers and sisters in Christ, and I
ask each one of you to pray for peace so that war may be avoided.

God created the whole world and especially he created all in his own image.
This is a symbol of his love towards all people. Therefore God commanded us
through Moses Do not commit murder (Exodus 20:18) and he prohibits us from
killing each other because of his love for everybody. Therefore terrorism
and war are both against God's will for they destroy life. We want to
express our opinion that we are against terrorism and war of any kind and
ask that the government of USA give up any plan to attack Iraq immediately.

In the past people have failed to obey God's commandment and have started
wars and committed mass murder. It has been the history of sinful mankind to
retaliate against the sin of war with further sin of war. God has given us
his beloved Son, Jesus Christ, to release us from this chain of sins. He
teaches us in Matthew 5:44 "But now I tell you: love your enemies and pray
for those who persecute you" and he lived by his own words. When he was
crucified he said, "Forgive them Father! They do not know what they are
doing" (Luke 23:34). The government of USA has a plan to attack Iraq by
calling her an axis of evil and claiming that she has weapons of mass
destruction and supports terrorists. USA will fight against the evil of Iraq
with the evil of war. Once USA starts a war with Iraq there will be
retaliation, which will in turn create another war and the whole world will
be covered with wars. To avoid this chain reaction I will ask you to stand
with Christ and do whatever you can. I pray that the leaders of the
government of the USA stand with good faith and courage.

During the Second World War Japan endured great loss of life. This greatly
influenced its new Constitution founded on the principles of peace;
particularly Article 9. This states that we will never go into war and will
maintain disarmament. This is in harmony with Christ's teaching. The
Anglican Church at the Lambeth meeting in 1930 declared that to resolve
international conflicts by war is against the teaching and practice of our
Lord Jesus Christ. In Article 9 it states that Japan will seek world peace
based on justice and order, and give up armaments forever as means of
resolving international conflicts by war, threat of military power, and
actual military engagement. Unfortunately, the government of Japan has
expressed support for attack of Iraq by USA against our constitution and is
planning to send ships of the Self Defence Force into international waters
claiming that it is in a non combative role. I call upon the Japanese
Government to observe our constitution of peace, maintain peaceful actions,
and not to support any war action. I pray that not only Iraq but also the
entire world, specifically those nations that have capability of nuclear
attack, give up their weapons of mass destruction and also disarm
completely.

It is believed that the cause of terrorism and war is the existence of
injustice in the world; and unless this root cause is eliminated there will
never be peace on earth. There can not be peace without justice. God has
taught us (Matthew 5:9) "Happy are those who work for peace." Action towards
justice by listening to and working for those who suffer from poverty,
oppression and discrimination because of injustice will bring peace. This is
the true form of our faith. NSKK has failed to work for justice and peace in
the past but at General Synod in 1996 we accepted a statement admitting
responsibility for the War. In this we confessed "its sin for having
supported the war." We pray that we will be changed to recognise our mission
to do justice as the people of God, and as the vessels of peace, to listen
to the voices of the divisions, pains, cries, and suffering of the world.
Facing the issue of Iraq war now we need to raise our voice against war and
listen to those who are suffering, especially people in Iraq with their fear
of war. We also need to pray and take action for justice and peace.

In Christ

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: